Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OLD laptop-reset to factory settings-need more RAM?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 pollyparrot

pollyparrot

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:19 AM

Hello, sorry if this seems like a bit of a pointless exercise but its just something I want to try and do.

I have an OLD laptop-its an Acer Travelmate 2200 running Win XP. I have taken it back to factory settings, installed Avast, MBAM, Ccleaner and Sandboxie and removed all the non essential programmes. It is running OK but I think (from reading) that it needs more RAM to cope with browsing the net.

I know it might seem pointless to try and ressurect it but I would like to give it a go if you could help please?

System details below( I am posting from my desktop so if I need to do any logs there will be a bit of a delay as the laptop is unbearably slow on the internet)

Acer System Intel® Celeron® CPU 2.66GHz
2.67 GHz 192MB of RAM

I just want to see if I am able to make it run better as a practice exercise.

Thank you in advance for any help :)
"Only two things are infinite:The Universe and human stupidity. And I am not so sure about the former."-Einstein

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:04 AM

http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=1E46FDA3A5CA7304
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007609%20600006173&IsNodeId=1&name=200-Pin%20DDR%20SO-DIMM

You can run up to 1gig per slot. Any setup with 256 meg of RAM in windows XP will be a slug for anything browser related. I just got done throwing 2 1gig sticks in a Dell 4XXX series desktop for a client, an upgrade from a pair of 128 meg sticks, and they are so happy it's a bit scary. I was looking at memory usage in IE8, and it regularly fluctuated between 50 and 120 meg per tab for a lot of content.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 pollyparrot

pollyparrot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:18 AM

Thats great thank you,I am in the UK though, is this the same..... http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/integral-in1v1gnr-ddr-laptop-memory-1gb-sodimm-ram-10849443-pdt.html

I have read that the second RAM slot lies beneath the keyboard-how difficult is it going to be install the RAM there (its my first time doing this!) or should I just install one set first into the slot under the machine?

Do you think 1gb will be enough to have it runnign smoothly on the net? I am not overly bothered about data storage as we have the desk top for that.

Thanks for replying :)
"Only two things are infinite:The Universe and human stupidity. And I am not so sure about the former."-Einstein

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

Looks like it. 200 pin DDR333mhz, 2.5V.

I was looking at the owners manual (link here http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/notebook/0000/Acer/TravelMate2200/TravelMate2200ul.shtml) and it looks like both memory slots are under the cover shown on the underside of the lappy. Pop that bottom cover off and see.

For XP, 1gig total is fine for 95% of apps.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#5 pollyparrot

pollyparrot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 49 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

Thanks for the reply I have successfully installed the new RAM! Its at 1.18gb now :)

But I am having all kinds of fun and games with xp sp3 :( I am just following some of the advice on here to try and fix it.....

Thanks for your help, gave me the confidence to give it a try :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users