Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop freezes way too often than it should

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sher-locked

sher-locked

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:42 AM

I've had my laptop for roughly a year and a half now, and it's finally decided to give me issues. I'm completely useless when it comes to computers, so bear with me. Recently, whenever I play music (on YouTube or iTunes), the screen freezes up and the music either plays very slow, or the the last bit loops over and over. My laptop doesn't respond to anything, and I need to press the power key till it shuts down and start it up again. Not sure if this is relevant but a few months ago my harddrive died (clicking sound) and I had to get it replaced. After that I got the BSOD once, and when it started up again it said 'Unable to find operating system' or something to that effect. Worked fine after. It used to freeze for a few seconds before, but then go back to normal. Now it doesn't unfreeze and I'm not sure what to do. I don't have any viruses, and I've defragged to no noticeable effect. An issue I am aware of is that I need to change/fix my fan. It makes these weird squeaking noises and doesn't cool my laptop very well.

Specs:
Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i3 350M @ 2.27GHz 67 C
Arrandale 32nm Technology
RAM
4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20)
Motherboard
Sony Corporation VAIO (N/A) 68 C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1366x768@59Hz)
Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator HD
Hard Drives
466GB Seagate ST9500420AS (SATA) 42 C
Ricoh Memory Stick Disk Device (IDE)
Ricoh SD/MMC Disk Device (IDE)
Optical Drives
Optiarc DVD RW AD-7585H
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:05 AM

Hello,

My thoughts:

An issue I am aware of is that I need to change/fix my fan. It makes these weird squeaking noises and doesn't cool my laptop very well.

If reported motherboard (68 C) and CPU (67 C) temperatures are during casual use, you can see how they could quickly rise when watching video.

Having the fan fixed/replaced would be a good first step.

Other things to do in the mean time:
  • Make sure that the laptop isn't placed on a soft surface where the air intake, usually on the bottom of the laptop, could become blocked.
  • Use a can of compressed air on the intake and exhaust vents (make sure the computer is off and unplugged). Some recommend using a vacuum on the exhaust while blowing air into the intake.
  • Adjust the computer power settings via Control Panel to save power on components, to turn off hard drives sooner, allow stand-by or sleep, etc.
  • Use a laptop cooling pad.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users