Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please help me burn an ISO image?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 svejk

svejk

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:53 PM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:25 PM

I thought this was a piece of cake. I know I've done it before, but it's kicking my a@@ this time.

I want to burn a DBAN iso image to a bootable disc.
Here are the instructions right at the DBAN site.

Posted Image

The instructions explicitly state not to unzip the file.
Posted Image

"DBAN 2.2.6 Beta for CD-R and DVD-R media." ...is a hyperlink leading directly to the download.
These instructions require that you download from that hyperlink and "Do not unzip this file"

So I download the DBAN iso and here it is, not unzipped, sitting on my desktop.
Posted Image

The DBAN site recommends CDBurnerXP for the work. I have it on my desktop.

I open CDBurnerXP....
Posted Image
.... I click on "burn ISO image" and "ok"
Posted Image
I browse to the DBAN iso file on my desktop. It's recognized as an iso image so I choose it. I have a blank DVD-RW in the laptop drive. I click "burn disc". It completes successfully and ejects.

I attempt to boot the computer using this disc and it will not boot from it. It defaults to windows boot. I restart, press F9 to select the optical disc drive to boot with, it still ignores the disc and boots from windows.

I go back and try the same whole process with a blank CD-R. Exact same thing. Laptop refuses to boot from the disc. I go ahead and extract the files using WINRAR, (it told me not to extract the files). Now this is on my desktop....
Posted Image

I repeat the whole process again using blank DVD-RW and CD-R discs. Still unable to create a bootable disc.

I also extracted the winrar dban folder above to a separate folder and attempted to burn the separate ISO images therein. Still no luck. My god is this frustrating.

What the heck am I doing wrong? There are dozens of tutorials covering this simple task all over the internet. I've read them all. They all say the same thing. To do exactly what I'm doing.

What gives?

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by svejk, 26 August 2012 - 10:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:29 PM

Burning speed is 24X.Try it to a much lower one and see if it works.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:49 PM

I use this program to burn CDs, DVDs and BluRays. When installing it deselect the Toolbar
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/ImgBurn

mgBurn can write most types of CD/DVD/Blu-ray/BD images and it supports all the latest writers (including booktype / bitsetting on many of the major ones - i.e. BenQ, LiteOn, NEC, Plextor, Sony). Create ISO's from files on your hard disk, or burning them direct to a disc. You can even use ImgBurn to erase / format your rewritable media! Supported image formats: BIN, CDI, CDR, DVD, GCM, GI, IMG, ISO, LST, MDS, NRG, PDI, UDI

Once it is installed , you just right click on the ISo file and choose burn with imgburn, or open with imgburn.

Done.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 svejk

svejk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:09 PM

Posted Image

Am I able to burn an iso image in this form?

Usually that type of icon seems to indicate an unrecognizable file.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:38 AM

Rather than using F9...just go into the BIOS and manually change the boot order so that the optical drive is the first boot device...and the second. Save the changed settings by hitting F10.

The system will reboot and it should be forced to boot from the optical drive reflecting the CD with Dban.

Louis

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:26 AM

Posted Image

Am I able to burn an iso image in this form?

Usually that type of icon seems to indicate an unrecognizable file.

There is no way to tell what that file is since there is no extension showing.

If you posted the file name complete with extension.

DBAN 2.2.6 Beta for CD-R and DVD-R media.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/dban/files/dban/dban-2.2.6/dban-2.2.6_i586.iso/download
or direct link

One other thing you may need to set the drive controller to IDE (Standard) mode rather than Raid or AHCI.

Thanks
Roger

Is this what you downloaded? Right click on the file and select properties.
Posted Image

Edited by rotor123, 27 August 2012 - 09:28 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users