Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What risks about Adobe Flash Player 11.4.402

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 990 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:17 PM

Does anyone find problems or big risks in downloading or installing or using the suddenly new version 11.4.402 of Adobe Flash Player? Suddenly clicking on the announcment window upon computer startup brings up an adobe webpage instead of just showing the update installer. I amnot sure which way or how to proceed. So far, currently installed 11.3....whatever it is works fine; those updates came directly with an installer - no need to squirm through a webpage. Does this webpage for the 11.4.402 give me an installe that uninstalls old-but-currently installed 11.3.3xx or do I get a mess if I try to install v11.4.402 from the webpage?

Oh yah, so far this is for Windows Vista sp2(?) laptop with I.E. 9 and Firefox v14; but eventually I need to worry about this for another laptop Windows XP sp3 with I.E. 8 and Firefox v14.

Edited by cafejose, 26 August 2012 - 09:20 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:08 PM

I updated my win 7 a couple days ago. If I remember on the webpage there is a button for "update now" and then the installer comes up. No issues that I've seen.

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 990 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2012 - 09:48 PM

IS UNINSTALLING VERSION 11.3.3XX BEFORE INSTALLING VERSION 11.4.402 NECESSARY? IS A REMOVAL TOOL NEEDED TO COMPLETE ANY UNINSTALLATION? WILL THE INSTALLER FOR VERSION 11.4.402 TAKE CARE OF THE CURRENT INSTALLATION OF 11.3.3XX?

Edited by cafejose, 27 August 2012 - 09:49 PM.

#4 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:18 PM

I never uninstalled before installing the new version...

“May the sun bring you new energy by day, may the moon softly restore you by night, may the rain wash away your worries, may the breeze blow new strength into your being, may you walk gently thorugh the world and know it's beauty all the days of your life.”

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:36 AM

WILL THE INSTALLER FOR VERSION 11.4.402 TAKE CARE OF THE CURRENT INSTALLATION OF 11.3.3XX?

YES.

Tekken

#6 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 990 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

Thank you, jburd1800 and jhayz.

The idea that I automatically am directed to an adobe download webpage
instead of being directly presented the installer as usual is what bothers me.

Like I asked already, any other problems that anyone know about?

#7 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 28 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

No, I think it's just a larger than usual update file so they need to direct you to a website to download it. Just be sure to untick the attempt to foist McAfee on you. And you may have to turn off your anti virus to successfully download it as I had to do. It went fine.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:05 PM

I usually tick the 2nd choice of notify when an update is available instead of the auto-update. The announcement window you have ticked is the difference.

Tekken

#9 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 990 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

I usually tick the 2nd choice of notify when an update is available instead of the auto-update. The announcement window you have ticked is the difference.

I HAVE been ticking that second option, "notify me but do not install". That has been my choice for all of the updates for version 11.3.xyz

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:37 PM

Just recently, the 11.4 version gave me the announcement window to download then after completing, I just click install - finish without the adobe webpage. Just wait for the next cycle of update if you weren't able to install the last time.

Tekken

#11 jburd1800

jburd1800

• Members
  • 565 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:46 PM

One of the things I ran into on the website was it also wanted to download Chrome at the same time. I stopped the download and went to Adobe and downloaded the update. No issues...

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 07:55 PM

Maybe the announcement page or first window has a link(just not sure) or within those lines that made a direct adobe site webpage. Yes, google chrome is always in the mix when it comes to adobe flash as a promotion feature before clicking the download button. You can unchecked that option of course, if you notice.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users