Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 with boot drive

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 russcart

russcart

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:53 PM

I recently upgraded to the following: motherboard (Asus P8H77-M Pro), processor (intel Core i5 2500K, 3.30 GHz, 6MB, LGA1155), and RAM (16GB, 1600mHz, DDR3). I also purchased Windows 7 and one Seagate 3TB SATA III HDD. I also have one intel SSD, a 520 Series, 120 GB drive. What I would like to do is install the SSD as a drive dedicated to the OS. The other drive will be for storage. Are there any issues that I should be aware of? If this is the way to go, should the other programs that I install also be on the SSD or would it be better to install on the HDD? And since the Seagate drive is 3 TB, will I be able to use it to capacity or will I be limited to less than the 3 TB? Does windows limit the capacity.
Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 AM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:08 PM

Best to install OS and programs on SSD.
Be sure that other drives are not connected to the computer during install of OS. Excepting the DVD-ROM drive, of course.
Do a clean install rather than attempt to clone or image the SSD.

How do I Initialize & Install 3 TB HDD - Hard-Disks - Storage
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:18 PM

I use SSD drives exclusively for the OS Boot Drive.

I install Windows 7 to the SSD, I leave all the windows stuff on the SSD for maximum speed, including the Pagefile (Virtual memory) and all the programs I use. The Regular drives are only for data.

This is from one of my desktops with everything loaded.

Posted Image

Notice the amount of free space set up that way?
One reason for having all the programs on the SSD, they load really quick. Malware scans go quickly too.

Be sure to load the latest Intel SSD toolbox. Use it's system tuner and check for the latest firmware with it.

Try to use a Intel SATA port set to AHCI for best results. Always leave some free room on the SSD to allow Trim to work at its best and for longer life. Free Space is used in the wear leveling process to give longer life.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 26 August 2012 - 09:22 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 russcart

russcart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:22 PM

It will be a clean install. I am upgrading from XP. I am new to SSD's, any issues setting this up in BIOS? I understand that all programs should be on the same drive as the OS? No issues or restrictions with the 3 TB HDD?

#5 russcart

russcart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:28 PM

Where do I find the SSD toolbox?

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:43 PM

Just try and be sure to use a Intel SATA port for best speed.
The controller mode for the SATA ports should be AHCI.

Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18455&ProdId=3475&lang=eng

Detailed Description

The Intel® Solid-State Drive Toolbox (Intel® SSD Toolbox) is drive management software that allows you to:
* View current drive information for Intel® Solid-State Drives (Intel® SSDs), including:
- Model number, capacity, and firmware version
- Drive health
- Estimated drive life remaining
- SMART attributes (also available for hard disk drives and non-Intel SSDs)
- IDENTIFY DEVICE information (also available for hard disk drives and non-Intel SSDs)
* Optimize the performance of an Intel SSD using Trim functionality
* Update the firmware on a supported Intel SSD
* Run quick and full diagnostic scans to test the read and write functionality of an Intel SSD
* Check and tune your system settings for optimal Intel SSD performance, power efficiency, and endurance
* View your system information and hardware configuration, such as central processing unit (CPU),
chipset, controller name, and driver versions
* Run Secure Erase on a secondary Intel SSD

This download is valid for the product(s) listed below.
Intel® SSD 520 Series (120GB, 2.5in SATA 6Gb/s, 25nm, MLC)
Intel® SSD 520 Series (180GB, 2.5in SATA 6Gb/s, 25nm, MLC)
Intel® SSD 520 Series (240GB, 2.5in SATA 6Gb/s, 25nm, MLC)
Intel® SSD 520 Series (480GB, 2.5in SATA 6Gb/s, 25nm, MLC)
Intel® SSD 520 Series (60GB, 2.5in SATA 6Gb/s, 25nm, MLC)

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 26 August 2012 - 10:44 PM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#7 russcart

russcart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 10:54 PM

I originally had two Corsair 4GB 1600MHz DDR's installed and the computer booted normally. Then I double the RAM to a total of 16GB and the computer wouldn't boot. I was increasing the RAM prior to installing Windows 7. The computer failed to boot. Then I removed the two additional modules and it booted normally. The motherboard is a Asus P8H77-M Pro. I continued to install W7 to the SSD and installed all the motherboard updates and drivers, etc. how do I find out what RAM modules that will work. What I have now are four identical units, but only two at a time will work.
Thx.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 09:44 AM

Asus have a list in the manual and a updated list on their website of memory that will work. Each model motherboard is different and it is by Make and model and memory speed. The list is called a QVL (Qualified Vendor List) http://support.asus.com/QVL.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&s=39&m=P8H77-M%20PRO&os=&hashedid=2pL58aQ3FL0YShJP 2nd selection P8H77-M-PRO-Memory-QVL

For what it is worth the highest amount of memory I have in anything is 6Gb. Are you planning on running anything that requires 16GB?

Several things to consider here.
Have you tested all the memory slots?
Have you swapped the memory? Take out the two that work and put in the other two memory to be sure one of them is not defective?
Have you tyaken a good look at the memory section of the Motherboard manual?
From the Asus website: Memory section.

* 1600MHz and higher frequency is supported by Intel® 3rd generation processors.
* The Max. 32GB memory capacity can be supported with DIMMs of 8GB (or above). ASUS will update QVL once the DIMMs are available on the market.
* Refer to www.asus.com or user manual for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).
* Due to the CPU behavior, DDR3 2133/1866MHz memory module will run at DDR3 2000/1800MHz frequency as default.

If you have to can you get two 8Gb memory that are on the memory QVL instead?

Good Luck
Roger

P.S. How do like the SSD drive speed?

Edited by rotor123, 29 August 2012 - 09:45 AM.

167 @ June 2015

#9 russcart

russcart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

Thanks for the reply.
I tried swapping the DIMM's, same result. I am limited to using only two of the DIMM's. I read the QVL before I made the purchase, so unless I am reading it incorrectly, what I have should work. Maybe I am missing something? I really have no pressing need to double the RAM at this point, but since upgrading nearly everything else, and the deal at the time for the RAM, I purchased more than I needed but will allow for future needs. The SSD is great so far! It's is mainly for booting and programs that I use a lot, everything else is on two other HDD's.

#10 russcart

russcart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

I returned the two DIMM's discussed in the previous post and exchanged for two more, same spec's, etc. I apparently got a couple of bad ones, because these worked right away and everything seems to be working properly. I have a question regarding the W7 performance score. I ran this check on this new systwm and got a base score of 6.2. It wasbased on scores of Processor (7.5), RAM (7.6), Graphics (6.2), Gaming Graphics (6.2) and Primary Hard Disk (7.9). Is there a way of increasing this performance? Or dod I need an external graphics card to do so?

I also downloaded and installed the SSD Toolbox.

Thanks

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 10:01 AM

Your 6.2 represents the lowest score. You could get up to a 7.5 overall rating since that is the Processor score by changing the Video card to something that will score better. If decide you want to upgrade the Video card post in the System Building and Upgrading forum.

However I will also say if it does everything you want as is and you have no need for better graphics why spend the money. You should be booting very fast now. Programs should be popping onto the screen as soon as You click to start them.

I believe Intel suggests running the Intel SSD Optimizer weekly. And one time for the system Tuner.

Good Luck & Enjoy
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#12 russcart

russcart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

Thanks. I'm not really sure if the Windows 7 index really means anything, just curious. Unless I find a pressing need for video card, I'll stay with what I have. And yes the system is very fast now... hopefully it'll stay that way for a while.

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 01:01 PM

That sounds Like a plan to me. Enjoy the new sped up system.

Cheers
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users