Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random crashes, refusing to start afterwards.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fribbels

fribbels

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:20 PM

Since about 4 months ago, my computer has crashed randomly. Every time this happens, I would try to reboot it, and it would start for between one second and five minutes before crashing again. It would continue to refuse to start like this for 10 minutes to three days at one point.

It started four months ago, and occurs fairly rarely. Since the first "series" of crashes, it's only happened five or six times, with anytime between a week and a month separating the crashes.

My computer has just crashed again, and as expected, is not opening right now, so I'm typing this from my tablet. If anyone has any idea what's going on here, I would greatly be appreciative of any help. And if there's any specific information needed please tell me and I'd be happy to gather it once my computer decides to start up again.

More info - Windows 7, computer is about 10 months old, and I do this have a warranty on it. A curious note, the light on my wireless adapter remains on after the computer has crashes, whereas it would normally be off if I turned the computer off normally.

Gives me the option of starting in safe mode, crashes there too. Usually it'll crash before the option is even offered. I've also tried plugging it into other sockets around the house, but still crashes.

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD FX™-4100 Quad-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 1 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 8190 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6670, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 314065 MB;
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., M68MT-S2
Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:06 PM

System crashes could be anything but since it exhibits also in safemode, it could point to a hardware problem. If its under warranty, make sure you won't break it by opening up the desktop or asked the store where you bought it from. Removing certain hardwares internally would be the starting point. Does it reboot with using one RAM alternately, no hard drive, using only the onboard graphics, no network or pci card?

Tekken

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,599 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:37 PM

Like jhayze said, random BSODs can drive you to drink. The only thing I think of is to start testing 1x1 until you find the cause.
>Backup your data immediately.
>Are you overclocking anything on your system? CPU or Video Card?
>Try to remember when this exactly first started, and did you update any drivers or install any new programs? That may give you a clue.
>Test your memory: Go HEREand download the pre-compiled ISO of Memtest 86+ (free), burn to a CD and reboot with it in you DVD. Let it run a full pass on each stick of memory. Even one fail message means that stick of RAM is bad.
>Test your hard drive: go HERE, click on the download tab, and click on Seatools for Windows. Install and run it. If you can't get into Windows long enough to install it, download Seatools for DOS, burn to a CD and boot from the DVD drive. If it notifies you that SMART has tripped or posts FAIL your drive is failing.
>Download Whocrashed from HEREand install. Be sure that large Crashdump is enabled on your system. Next time it crashes run it and you may get an idea. Most likely its a buggy driver, that is why I suggested try to remember if you updated any around the time your crashes started. It is not infalible, but sometimes it will give you an idea of where to start looking.

This will get you started, let us know what each result is.

Edited by ranchhand_, 26 August 2012 - 10:38 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users