Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Paranoia

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ubiq

Ubiq

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

Hi there! :hello:

I have become unable to order anything online lately because a friend of mine says she had her identity stolen when she bought jeans at amazon.com. She couldn't give me any details except that its been really stressful and expensive because banks aren't as friendly as they used to be about reimbursements and somehow she can't repair her credit history.

How could this have happened? I thought amazon was "safe". :scratchhead:

I want to write this off as her being a goof(and not having a firewall or malware protection) especially as she can't even explain to me what happened except to say "I had my identity stolen when I bought something from amazon so you should stay away from that".

So what do you guys think?
Is it possible to have for me to have my identity stolen when making a purchase through amazon if I have reasonable antivirus/firewall protection already on my computer?

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

Speccy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,847 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

To put things in perspective you can have your identity stolen handing your credit card to the waiter at your favorite restaurant. Every transaction has inherent risks. You take reasonable precautions and educate yourself on how to minimize risks. Thieves and fraudsters use the path of least resistance to make a buck. Be vigilant and educated and you should become a less vulnerable target.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:16 PM

Ubig,
Hi, LORD know's i'm not all that computer savey,but having said that,your friend not having firewall, Malware protection sure wasn't a plus!

If you have the smarts anybody can hack into your PC, which is why I don't
A) Put personal info on mine.
B)don't order anything online.
C) When a big company like say Comcast can be hacked( and they were a few years back )what chance does my little PC have of being hacked??.
Even the pentagon was hacked by a kid a few years ago!!!
D) I feel so sorry for your friend, she sure has her work cut out for her,Innocent until proven guilty doesn't apply here at all, she's gonna have to prove that's she's innocent...

RESPECTFULLY

MissPlaced

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:27 PM

There is a way to order online that does not involve giving the merchant your credit/debit card number or bank info.

This is how I do it:

1) I find out the total cost of the item(s)

2) I go to my credit union and for $1.00 purchase a pre-paid Visa card. I can put any amount on the card. I usually round up the amount on the card dollar. Example: for a purchase that costs $23.59 I get $25 card. (you can also buy prepaid cards in set amounts at many stores but these cost more than $1)

3) I register the card on the issuer website by entering my name and address. This is important because you use the card as credit, and you will need to give the address of the cardholder when ordering.

4) I order the merchandise.

5) In order to 0 out the card, whatever is left I use at the gas pump along with cash when I put gas in the car.

If someone were to get hold of the card number he/she would not be able to do anything with it.

While I prefer to buy things at a local store there are times when something has to be ordered.

#5 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:45 PM

Queen-Evie, that is a good idea! :cool:

I bank at a credit union also and I'm going to try this.

Animal and MissPlaced:

Regrettably, I know a little too much about the strips that can be placed inside card machines to steal numbers.
Last year, my boyfriend had his credit card number stolen when he got gas at our usual convenient store.
The bank called him because of several charges in Russia for hundreds of dollars. They stopped the card and reimbursed him but it was a headache.
They said they won't reimburse him again if this happens a second time even though hundreds of people had their numbers stolen over that weekend by a gang working the area. Apparently this is happening so much they just can't keep reimbursing the public.

That's really the picture I have in my head of identity or credit card theft. That's why my friend's story surprised me so much. I just can't see a seller doing that but I know its really complicated out there these days.

Edited by Ubiq, 26 August 2012 - 08:47 PM.

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

Speccy

#6 MissPlaced

MissPlaced

• Members
  • 929 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:44 AM

@ Queen Evie,

That's a great Idea !!!

@ Ubig,

there's another way to go about Queen Evie's Idea, I look up the item i want,get the price including tax and shipping and handling charges, then I go to one of my local grocery stores and get a Money Order for that amount...the Money order only cost's me 69 cents.

For about $10.00 dollars, a thief can get a scanner, that will get your credit card /Debit card Number while it's still in you're wallet..to stop this from happening to you, wrap your card(s) in aluminum foil...who knew foil was good for something beside's makin hat's... :hysterical:

RESPECTFULLY

MissPlaced

You want to be great, Learn how to heal people, To hurt people is easy

Be Kinder then you have to be,you never know what battle someone else is fighting~~~
~~~~Martrys song~~~~~
~~~~My Deliverer~~~~~~

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:45 PM

As I previously stated I prefer to buy from a local store. Some things are not available in a store-software you want to purchase might be available only through the software maker on the website.

When my grand-daughter was 2 I wanted to get her a specific Disney Princess toy box from Toys R Us. Unfortunately it was not available in the store here or in the Birmingham store so I had to order it online.

Pre-paid card to the rescue.

Money orders are what we use when we need to send money through the mail. To me they are more secure because unlike checks they do not have your bank info on them. We don't send money through the mail very often but when we do we get the money order from the credit union for 50 cents. A small price to pay for peace of mind.

#8 Capn Easy

Capn Easy

• Members
  • 597 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:04 PM

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned yet is the strength of the password used at Amazon. Use a password generator/manager for the strongest protection. At the very least, make sure your password does not consist of a single, correctly spelled word. Also make sure it includes a mix of uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and non-alphanumeric characters.

#9 Burney

Burney

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 10:04 AM

Just because you are paranoid.... it doesn't mean they aren't out to get you. Now if you don't use those methods I know there are certain things my bank will call and verify with me before a perchase is processed. Although, I know many people who use the prepaid card method and it is probably the best bet. My dad just uses the lifelock service, but he has more assets to secure then I do.

Thanks for the post.

Burney

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users