Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Privacy takes a backseat in Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,724 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:21 PM

In yet another instance of we don't care about your privacy. Microsoft's latest OS, Windows 8 will tattle back to Redmond on you.

From: Gizmodo.com article: Windows 8 Tells Microsoft About Everything You Install, Not Very Securely by Nadim Kobeissi Aug 24, 2012

Microsoft knows everything we install on our Windows 8 devices.

Windows 8 has a new featured called Windows SmartScreen, which is turned on by default. Windows SmartScreen's purpose is to "screen" every single application you try to install from the Internet in order to inform you whether it's safe to proceed with installing it or not. Here's how SmartScreen works:

1. You download any application from the Internet. Say, the Tor Browser Bundle.

2. You open the installer. Windows SmartScreen gathers some identifying information about your application, and sends the data to Microsoft.

3. If Microsoft replies saying that the application is not signed with a proper certificate, the user gets an error that looks something like this.

Follow the above link for the complete article which includes 3 updates since first published on Aug 24.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:56 PM

Not Good!

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 OSO ROJO

OSO ROJO

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

WOW .. I honestly have to say .. not a huge Windows fan .. but Windows 8 (from the Developer's release) I was impressed .. however after reading this .. I'm not so sure. I will assume (because it says turn on by default) that it is a setting that you can turn off (I hope)

#4 Casey_boy

Casey_boy

Bleeping physicist

• Malware Response Team
  • 7,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 AM

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:32 PM

From reading the article: I can't see where it says it records your user name, PC name or anything other than details about the app. You give a lot more information away when using mobile app stores, and the new Windows Store, as your ID is saved with every download.

I also think that having a screening filter is a good thing - so long as you can override it if you really want to, or disable it completely - and the only way to impliment a decent screening system is to check with a webservice first.

If I have been helping you and I do not reply within 48hours, feel free to send me a PM.

* My Website * Am I Infected? * Malware Removal Help * If you'd like to say thanks *

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 28 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

Nothing to worry. Security products like Eset and Zonealarm are doing it for some time now.

#6 Burney

Burney

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 29 August 2012 - 04:39 PM

I think this will help the "average" computer user to not download malware. The main people this will annoy are the people using pirated software or anything illegal. Besides anyone who does anything illegal will probably be savy enough to know about this problem and turn it off and hide their tracks. I really don't see the problem, because it doesn't say personal information is sent either. Besides I am not planning on upgrading to windows 8 unless they stop selling windows 7 (which won't happen for a long time).

#7 Bloemkool

Bloemkool

• Banned
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 31 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

A new reason for me to use Windows 7 and not Windows 8...

#8 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,755 posts
  •  

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:55 PM

And this surprises anyone why?

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users