Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I have 2 operating systems, but can't switch between them

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 vinuguy

vinuguy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:26 PM

Hello,

Today i decided to install ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop (which is running windows 7 already) because that is the operating system i'm going to be using in my classes. To do this, i created a separate partition on my hard drive (which is 1 terabyte). I successfully installed Ubuntu on that partition but when i restarted my computer i wasn't given the option to choose which os i wanted to run. instead the chkdsk function ran, and after running it started up windows. windows is running just fine but i can't seem to figure out how to switch to ubuntu from here. Does anyone have an idea what i did wrong? or is there something simple i need to do yet?

Thanks, vinuguy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:43 PM

Hi Vinuguy,

You need some sort of boot loader. I will not pretend to know any more about Ubuntu than that it exists, but I have just done a similar setup to get XP running on my Win 7 machine.

You at least have the advantage that your machine is booting into Win 7. I can recommend a utility called EasyBCD, the current version is 2.1.2, from Neostart Technology. It is free to private users.

Download and install EasyBCD into Windows and run it. It should come up with a list of the operating systems installed on your computer. From this list you can choose which one is to be the default, and set a time-out value ( in seconds ) to allow you to choose the operating system you wish to use. I set mine to 10 seconds, which is more than long enough.

The way it works is that on switch-on, after the BIOS screens, you get a DOS type screen which lists your installed operating systems with the default system highlighted. You use the up/down arrow keys to choose the system you wish to boot to. Of course, if you wish to use the default system, then you have to do nothing apart from wait 10 seconds for it to start booting. I hope this is of some help.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 vinuguy

vinuguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

Chris,

Thanks for the reply, i downloaded the program and ran it and this is what came up:

There is one entry in the Windows bootloader.

Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 30 seconds
EasyBCD Boot Device: C:\

Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \windows\system32\winload.exe

I'm assuming this means i need to try re-installing ubuntu so im going to try that and ill post back what happens.

#4 vinuguy

vinuguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 09:23 PM

Well ubuntu is working for sure, but now windows wont load... the boot loader recognizes that windows 7 is there, however when i try to use windows 7 the chkdsk runs and eventually redirects me to ubuntu. ive tried a couple times so im unsure if i have gotten into a big mess or if there is a simple fix!

#5 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:07 PM

If you have your windows 7 DVD insert it.

Press any key and when recovery screen comes up,click on REPAIR YOUR COMPUTER option.Startup repair should fix it.

After you boot into windows,you could follow this guide for dual boot

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2011/05/22/how-to-dual-boot-windows-7-and-ubuntu-11-04/

You need a more easy way?

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/windows-installer

good luck

Edited by narenxp, 26 August 2012 - 10:08 PM.

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:13 PM

I am not sure if this will work with Ubuntu, but I have W7 and WXP on two separate hard drives; on boot I tap F8 and a menu pops up with all drives listed and I can boot into any one I want. Of course, this option must be available in your BIOS, but it's worth a try.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

I am not sure if this will work with Ubuntu, but I have W7 and WXP on two separate hard drives; on boot I tap F8 and a menu pops up with all drives listed and I can boot into any one I want. Of course, this option must be available in your BIOS, but it's worth a try.

In your case,its harddrive but here they are on different partitions.

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:04 AM

Interesting... I just assumed F8 would treat a separate partition/operating system as though it were a separate drive since it is assigned its own drive letter. I never partition my drives, only use one partition per HD. I would rather have multiple hard drives than multiple partitions-easier to manage.

Edited by ranchhand_, 27 August 2012 - 06:06 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#9 vinuguy

vinuguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:56 AM

well what i ended up doing was using a program called parted magic to run off an os off a cd. Then i used the partition editor to remove the partition i had made and basically set things back to normal.
ubuntu was gone and windows worked again (Thank God because i don't have a windows 7 dvd). so now im back to normal but i would still like to hae ubuntu on my computer, is it a problem to have ubuntu on the same partition as windows?

#10 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2012 - 08:00 AM

ubuntu was gone and windows worked again (Thank God because i don't have a windows 7 dvd). so now im back to normal but i would still like to hae ubuntu on my computer, is it a problem to have ubuntu on the same partition as windows?

I think i gave you the options already :)

#11 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,970 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:12 PM

vin you cant have linux and win7 in same partition ubuntu is ext4 and win7 uses ntfs
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#12 vinuguy

vinuguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:05 PM

well today i got a hold of an ubuntu cd from my professor and during the installation process it asked if i wanted ubuntu to run along side windows 7. my prof said it should work so i tried it. ubuntu then partitioned the hard drive for me and set it up properly i suppose, now it is working exactly how it is supposed to. when i reboot the computer im prompted with the option of which operating system to use. i suppose when i originally partitioned the hard drive i didn't have a specific setting correct so nothing worked like it was supposed to. Everything is good to go now though!

Thanks for the input everyone!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users