Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need a USB Network Adapter for Printer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Matt Callahan

Matt Callahan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:33 AM

Does anyone have any suggestions for a USB network adapter for a USB only printer? I want to retire the desktop that shares the printer, but I wanted to make the printer available via a USB network adapter first. The printer is a decent Samsung laser that isnít too old. I don't want to replace it yet with a wireless or network ready printer. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 02 September 2012 - 05:41 PM

I don't think you are going to get that one to work, even if you could plug a USB wireless dongle into your printer it won't have the hardware or software to connect to wi-fi. I did consider a print server once, until I looked at prices, then changed my mind !

You say you are planning on retiring the computer connected to the printer, but presumably you will be getting another ? I think you are going to have to keep one computer connected to the printer when you want to print, that way that computer acts as your print server. Or you could keep your present computer and leave it driving the printer, connect through a network and just run the computer when you want to print. In other words, use it as your print server.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users