Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting a "user profile service failed the logon. user profile cannot be loaded" message

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BeepBeepRichie

BeepBeepRichie

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 AM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:22 AM

It is an HP computer that my brother brought over because it wouldn't boot. It was giving me a "bootmgr is compressed" message. So I got my Vista repair disc and uncompressed his drive. That got rid of that message but then it was giving me winload.exe errors. So I fixed that and FINALLY it booted up but when I clicked on his user account to log on, I get this error message. I have searched for answers. I came across a fix where you edit the registry if there is a duplicate entry in the profiles section but there isn't an extra one. I can boot into safe mode but I get no administrative tools, no ability to see the event viewer or manage users (idk if this is normal). I did a command I found to make the default administrator account active or something like that, and now when it boots up, there is his user account, and an admin user. If I click his user to log on, I get the error message. If I click the admin account, it loads, but it loads telling me the Vista copy is not genuine.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this? Why is the admin account telling me Vista is not genuine? Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:45 AM

I came across a fix where you edit the registry if there is a duplicate entry in the profiles section but there isn't an extra one

Extra one? you mean the .bak key?

Did you follow this guide?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

Edited by narenxp, 26 August 2012 - 11:46 AM.

#3 BeepBeepRichie

BeepBeepRichie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2012 - 03:38 PM

Yes.

I only have one SID entry there with a long number. So I renamrd it to remove the. bak, then edited the two entries to 0 that it tells me to. But after the restarting, I'm still unable to loving with the User. Only the admin account can log on with a "normal boot up", and it loads a non genuine copy of Vista. In safe mode virtually all snap in's are not loaded, including event viewed and I guess what I need to make a new account.

Why is the admin account that has popped up telling me Vista isn't genuine? I can log onto the User account in safe mode. But clicking "manage another account" does nothing. No matter if I am using the User account in Safe Mode or the admin account, shortly after the desktop loads (it doesn't even load really, I have to go to task manager and add the explorer task) I get a balloon popup saying the User profile wasn't loaded correctly, and I should go to event viewed. But I cant. Thanks and sorry for any bad typing, I'm on a Kindle right now.

Edited by BeepBeepRichie, 27 August 2012 - 03:40 PM.

#4 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:55 PM

I only have one SID entry there with a long number. So I renamrd it to remove the. bak, then edited the two entries to 0 that it tells me to

You should not have done this.The fix should not be used when you dont have a .BAK key.

If you have a vista DVD,try a system restore before you had boot issues.

Edited by narenxp, 27 August 2012 - 10:56 PM.

#5 BeepBeepRichie

BeepBeepRichie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:40 AM

I did have a .bak file.

Maybe I am reading the instructions wrong, but one set is for people who have two really long registry entries there and the second set is for people with one. I only had one. It told me to rename it and remove the .bak part and then set those numbers to 0 in RefCount and State and restart. I am wrong on the instructions?

I have booted to a repair disc and tried to do system restore but it tells me no restore points are available.

Thanks.

#6 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:06 AM

Maybe I am reading the instructions wrong, but one set is for people who have two really long registry entries there and the second set is for people with one. I only had one. It told me to rename it and remove the .bak part and then set those numbers to 0 in RefCount and State and restart. I am wrong on the instructions?

Yes,you were wrong.Did you backup the key?

Insert your vista DVD and try a startup repair

If that doesnt work,try this

http://windowssecrets.com/top-story/win7s-no-reformat-nondestructive-reinstall/

Thi should work for vista too

#7 BeepBeepRichie

BeepBeepRichie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

Ok well again I can only log onto the User account in safe mode and in regular mode, only an admin account with a windows not genuine message. So I tried it on the admin account.

I put the disc in and clicked run setup.exe. however, what happened for me was an EULA popped up, I clicked yes, then it immediately took me to the screen showing my HDD and told me I already have a windows installation and installing it again will just move everything into a Windows.old folder. If i ckick ok to that, it starts installing. I didn't get the upgrade option in the link. Am I supposed to just reinstall it?

Booting to the repair CD, it does not detect any startup issues to repair and shows no restore or backup points.

Another thing, the admin account on there. Why does it load a bad version of vista and is there any way to remove it? Thanks.

Edited by BeepBeepRichie, 28 August 2012 - 02:48 PM.

#8 BeepBeepRichie

BeepBeepRichie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

If i reinstall and it says the old files will be available in the Windows.old folder, does that include any pictures or documents? This seems beyond repair. Every fix I've found is the .bak edit which doesnt work.

#9 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:37 PM

you should back up your files and perform a reinstall.Repair is not working in your case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users