Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FREE Alternative to Libre Office

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Julia G

Julia G

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:09 AM

WİNDOWS 7 HOME PREMİUM X64

Hi All,

i'm looking for a FREE replacement to Libre Office.

Something that will do the basics,nothing fancy.

Can anyone recommend a stable good performing alternative?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 04:19 AM

Kingsoft Office might be a good alternative. http://www.kingsoftstore.com/software/kingsoft-office-freeware I haven't tried it out myself, so I can't vouch for how it works, but it is a free option that's available.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Julia G

Julia G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:41 AM

Kingsoft Office might be a good alternative. http://www.kingsoftstore.com/software/kingsoft-office-freeware I haven't tried it out myself, so I can't vouch for how it works, but it is a free option that's available.

Orange Blossom :cherry:

Thanks for the reply Orange Blossom(you chose yourself a beaut name)

but i was hopping for a recommendation,that someone has on their system,

that they are happy with.

So what do you use??

#4 FlannelBack

FlannelBack

• Members
  • 327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 AM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:13 PM

Orange Blossom's suggestion of the Kingsoft Office Suite is a good one. I liked it well enough to get the pro version. Think you would be quite pleased with the free version. I used it for a few months and then switched to the pro 2012 version a while back.

I did read one post somewhere that, it was difficult to remove/uninstall. I didn't have any problems uninstalling the free version before I installed the pro.

#5 Julia G

Julia G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2012 - 04:22 AM

Orange Blossom's suggestion of the Kingsoft Office Suite is a good one. I liked it well enough to get the pro version. Think you would be quite pleased with the free version. I used it for a few months and then switched to the pro 2012 version a while back.

I did read one post somewhere that, it was difficult to remove/uninstall. I didn't have any problems uninstalling the free version before I installed the pro.

Well that's the recommendation,i was looking for.

Thank you.

#6 MDTechService

MDTechService

• Members
  • 303 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:38 PM

Perhaps I am missing something here, but isn't LibreOffice free/open source?
If I am helping you and I haven't replied to your thread in 3 days, please PM me or bump it

Mike D, BS, A+, HPSP, MCTS
I <3 Linux
The Airline Open source airline simulation game
Check the power cable to the wall first!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

I believe that the OP is not questioning whether Libre Office is free or not...just asserting that he wants a free replacement, rather than a paid suite.

Louis

#8 Julia G

Julia G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 27 September 2012 - 03:18 AM

I believe that the OP is not questioning whether Libre Office is free or not...just asserting that he wants a free replacement, rather than a paid suite.

Louis

That's correct,Libre Office for some reason,did not play well on my W.7 system,

it works perfectly on W.XP machine.( must be some conflict there somewhere)

That's the reason i switched.

And i'm a she not a he. :lol:

Edited by Julia G, 27 September 2012 - 03:22 AM.

#9 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 01 October 2012 - 10:01 PM

I'm interested in this, too. An install of Libre Office portable on notebook computer with Windows XP s.p. 3 took 70 minutes, and one of the files did not completely extract (installer monitor indicated some particular file 99% extracted). Unclear is how safe trying to run the installation would be. At such a lengthy time to install, I do not want to try redownloading and reinstalling.

I hope for a freeware office suite, portable if possible, with a ribbon interface.

#10 Julia G

Julia G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:53 AM

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/kingsoft-office-suite-2012-free-microsoft-office-alternative-windows

You could have a look here.

#11 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:36 PM

Apologies...I was speaking in my generic voice, not bothering to check out whether OP was male or female :).

Louis

#12 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:47 PM

Yeah, hamluis starts stammering and gets nervous before ladies as usual :hysterical:

BTW, I have used lost of free Office Suites and I have found that the best free office application is Libre Office / Open Office. Many other suites like Lotus Office are actually based on the source code of Open Office (found out after installing many of them).

#13 Julia G

Julia G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:40 AM

[quote name='Romeo29' timestamp='1349228834' post='2858537']
Yeah, hamluis starts stammering and gets nervous before ladies as usual :hysterical:

İ think that's sweet hihih...

#14 Julia G

Julia G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:41 AM

Apologies...I was speaking in my generic voice, not bothering to check out whether OP was male or female :).

Louis

Not a problem Louis

#15 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 07 October 2012 - 12:01 AM

(Libre Office was reinstalled as portable using a new download and using a newer, better, faster machine onto usb flash drive, and this install later taken to the system described below).

Libre Office 3.6.1.1 portable edition fails completely. Before it would start, an error message appeared saying Libre Office needs some Microsoft ++ Visual something, and I then had two more dialog boxes to clear. I also tried to open the Write program and another error message telling about Visual C++ appeared, so I cleared away this dialog. I then tried to shutdown the usb flash drive, but other programs were running, and they just stayed running, so I couldn't shutdown the usb flash drive. I had to use Task Manager to shut off some soffice... program, and then I was able to shut the usb flash drive; but once done, a big green rectangle with "Libre Office..." appeared with some synchronization progress bar at the bottom. When a program is turned off, it should stay off. I again used Task Manager to stop this application (through the Applications tab).

So far, Libre Office is useless. My next thought is maybe try this portable Libre Office on the new machine which does have Microsoft Visual C++ something installed on it.

Notebook computer Toshiba Satellite, Windows XP sp 3, 17.3 GB free disc space, Celeron 2.0 GHz processor, 512 MB memory. NOT putting any Visual C++ whatever on this system. 30 GB hard drive; some programs are stressful on its resources

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users