Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Fails To Start

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Bill Poster

Bill Poster

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:46 PM

I am having problems starting windows after resetting my computer to factory defaults. I have an Acer Aspire 5553. After completing the reset, the e-recovery failed to install windows 7 onto my computer. Each time I attempt to start up, the windows coloured logo appears then vanishes leaving a blank screen. I have tried tapping f8 but this too remains blank. I acquired a set of recovery discs, but these don't work either. Is there a solution you can suggest please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:02 PM

quote=I acquired a set of recovery discs, but these don't work either

a bit of info on what happens[on screen error messages and such ] when the recovery fails

Edited by caperjac, 25 August 2012 - 07:05 PM.

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#3 Bill Poster

Bill Poster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 10:12 AM

I have a set of 4 discs, the first of which is labelled "boot disc". I placed this disc into the tray and turned on the power. I could hear the disc spinning but nothing appeared on the screen - it remained black.

#4 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

Hello,

I acquired a set of recovery discs, but these don't work either.

I hope that the dics were for the Acer Aspire 5553; otherwise, your apt to have more problems.

According to your computer manual, the F-12 key for a Boot Menu at start-up is Disabled by default so unless the BIOS boot order is set for CDROM before hard drive or unless you have previously made changes in Bios setup, the boot CD wouldn't start.

• Here is your Aspire 5553/5553GSeries Service Guide (pdf).
  • In the left column, click System Utilities --> Bios setup utility to see how to enter BIOS setup.
  • Click Main to see where to enable the F-12 key (don't forget to save changes on exit).
  • Click Boot to see where to change the boot order, if desired.

Good luck.

Regards,
Brooks

#5 Bill Poster

Bill Poster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:28 PM

Hello,

I acquired a set of recovery discs, but these don't work either.

I hope that the dics were for the Acer Aspire 5553; otherwise, your apt to have more problems.

According to your computer manual, the F-12 key for a Boot Menu at start-up is Disabled by default so unless the BIOS boot order is set for CDROM before hard drive or unless you have previously made changes in Bios setup, the boot CD wouldn't start.

• Here is your Aspire 5553/5553GSeries Service Guide (pdf).
  • In the left column, click System Utilities --> Bios setup utility to see how to enter BIOS setup.
  • Click Main to see where to enable the F-12 key (don't forget to save changes on exit).
  • Click Boot to see where to change the boot order, if desired.

Good luck.

#6 Bill Poster

Bill Poster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2012 - 06:34 PM

The discs are for an Acer Aspire 5553. I got into the BIOS and placed CD-ROM at the top of the list, but when I inserted the Boot disc, the screen stayed black with a flashing cursor in the top left hand corner. Nothing else appeared, although the disc made a few beeping noises intermittently.

#7 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:08 PM

Hi,

If you changed the boot order in BIOS and made sure that you saved the changes before exiting, then it makes me think that either the boot disk is defective or the DVDROM drive has issues. Double check the BIOS setting.

I'm not sure whether your Acer Aspire also has a hidden recovery partiton. Have a look at Acer Aspire System Recovery Partition and give it a try.

Regards,
Brooks

#8 Bill Poster

Bill Poster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:05 PM

Hi,

If you changed the boot order in BIOS and made sure that you saved the changes before exiting, then it makes me think that either the boot disk is defective or the DVDROM drive has issues. Double check the BIOS setting.

I'm not sure whether your Acer Aspire also has a hidden recovery partiton. Have a look at Acer Aspire System Recovery Partition and give it a try.

I have changed the boot order and saved the changes. I read the contents of the link you posted, but unfortunately, I cannot make any progress with the recovery. If I tap ALT - f10, an "e-recovery management page" appears telling me to wait a minute while a blue progress wheel spins. Now I assumed this meant something was happening, but after 1 hour, the wheel was still spinning and no prompts appeared.

#9 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

Bill Poster,

Is the computer under warranty?

It would appear not to boot from a bootable CD as you have previously posted. It does find the recovery partition of the hard drive but then stalls.

You could attempt to make a bootable flash drive and test the hard drive. Do you have a USB flash drive handy?

Regards,
Brooks

#10 Bill Poster

Bill Poster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

Bill Poster,

Is the computer under warranty?

It would appear not to boot from a bootable CD as you have previously posted. It does find the recovery partition of the hard drive but then stalls.

You could attempt to make a bootable flash drive and test the hard drive. Do you have a USB flash drive handy?

Hi Artrooks

Unfortunately, my warranty expired 9 months ago and I imagine the sum required for repair would be considerable. I do have a USB drive to hand. Can you explain how I may create a bootable flash drive?

#11 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

Hello,

Let's give a bootable USB flash drive a try.

If the boot is successful, we can run various diagnostic scans. If you are unable to boot from USB drive, then there is a good chance there are hardware issues, maybe failing motherboard.

How to create a bootable USB flash drive containing the Ultimate Boot CD:

Please download the Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) from here or here (359 MB Iso file).

Next, download rufus from here.
  • Insert the USB flash drive into the computer, then double click on rufus_vx.x..exe to start the program.
  • Under Device, make sure that the correct drive letter is chosen for your flash drive.
  • Click on the Posted Image icon (bottom right) and navigate to the ubcdxxx.iso file, click on it and select Open.
  • Click Start to create the bootable flash drive. Exit the program when it reports Done.
Insert the flash drive into the ailing computer, set the computer to boot from the USB flash drive first, then restart the computer. (For how to set USB drive to boot first, go here).

If all works as planned, the computer should boot to a UBCD Menu.

Let us know if you get to that point.

Regards,
Brooks

#12 Bill Poster

Bill Poster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

Hello,

Let's give a bootable USB flash drive a try.

If the boot is successful, we can run various diagnostic scans. If you are unable to boot from USB drive, then there is a good chance there are hardware issues, maybe failing motherboard.

How to create a bootable USB flash drive containing the Ultimate Boot CD:

Please download the Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD) from here or here (359 MB Iso file).

Next, download rufus from here.

• Insert the USB flash drive into the computer, then double click on rufus_vx.x..exe to start the program.
  • Under Device, make sure that the correct drive letter is chosen for your flash drive.
  • Click on the Posted Image icon (bottom right) and navigate to the ubcdxxx.iso file, click on it and select Open.
  • Click Start to create the bootable flash drive. Exit the program when it reports Done.
Insert the flash drive into the ailing computer, set the computer to boot from the USB flash drive first, then restart the computer. (For how to set USB drive to boot first, go here).

If all works as planned, the computer should boot to a UBCD Menu.

Let us know if you get to that point.

I have reached the UBCD Menu. What is the next step?

#13 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

Hello Bill Poster,

Let's try to determine your hard drive manufacturer.

• Boot the UBCD flash drive, arrow down to Parted Magic and press <Enter>.
  • Select Default Settings (Runs from RAM).
  • After the Desktop loads, double click the Disk Health icon.
  • Your hard drive should be listed. (WDC=Western Digital; ST=Seagate; HTC=Hitachi; if it isn't otherwise obvious)

Let us know the drive manufacturer.

Regards,
Brooks

#14 Bill Poster

Bill Poster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2012 - 07:38 PM

Hello Bill Poster,

Let's try to determine your hard drive manufacturer.

• Boot the UBCD flash drive, arrow down to Parted Magic and press <Enter>.
  • Select Default Settings (Runs from RAM).
  • After the Desktop loads, double click the Disk Health icon.
  • Your hard drive should be listed. (WDC=Western Digital; ST=Seagate; HTC=Hitachi; if it isn't otherwise obvious)

Let us know the drive manufacturer.

Hello Artrooks

I have double clicked the Disk Health icon but all it reveals is the manufacturer of the USB flash drive. Have I gone wrong somewhere?

#15 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2012 - 06:57 AM

Hi,

Parted Magic is not recognizing a hard drive in your computer.

Please check that your hard drive is recognized in BIOS.
  • Press F2 during POST (when Press <F2> to enter Setup message is prompted on the bottom of screen).
  • The Information screen should show your hard drive. (write down that information for your next post)
  • From top menu, select Boot. Is the hard drive within the boot list?

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users