Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU came out with heatsink...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 aod_

aod_

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

I'm transferring a cpu from one Dell PC to another (i.e replacing a Celeron with a P4). The PC's are more or less identical and both support the CPU's.

Having never done this on a Dell before (I've done it on lots of other PC's), I followed this video to remove the heatsink.

All went well until actually removing the heatsink from the bracket. Although it came away, it took the CPU with it. So therefore the CPU lock arm was still closed.

Will this have potentially damaged the motherboard? I'm not bothered if it damages the CPU as it's being replaced, however I don't want the same thing to happen with I remove the P4 from the other Dell!

And in case you're curious why i don't just swap the hard disks rather than the CPU's - the motherboard on the P4 Dell has a faulty IDE controller, so I'm upgrading the Dimension 1100 CPU with the one from a Dimension 3000.

Any advice welcome.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:19 PM

Hi, There were posts about this subject and the consensus turned out to be that gently heating the heatsink with a hair dryer first softened the heatsink compound.

Credit to AustrAlien for this trick. :thumbsup:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic463449.html/page__view__findpost__p__2790202

In a situation where the heatsink is stuck to the CPU ... and doesn't fall off

Heat, combined with a gentle twisting/rotating action results in the heatsink being easily "unstuck".

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 25 August 2012 - 04:20 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 aod_

aod_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:30 PM

Thanks for the replies all.

OK so having warmed up the P4 Dell, removing this CPU was a lot more straight forward. With some gentle rocking before removing the heatsink, it came away clean no problem.

Then things went a bit nuts after i cleaned the thermal paste off of the heatsink and cpu - I managed to get new thermal paste on the CPU PINs. I was being a total pleb not taking much care.
After a few moments of panic, managed to get it off with some gentle rubbing of the pins with a toothbrush and a trace of water, then dried carefully with a hair dryer.

Having put it all back together I was convinced it was going to throw up CPU /motherboard errors, and it would be fried.

But - it lives!

Happy with that, I can now stick in the extra RAM and get on reinstalling windows and give it back to my friend!

Thanks again

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:37 PM

Way to go. :thumbsup:

Now the hard work begins. One tip if you are installing XP you may need to download the service packs from www.microsoft.com and install them manually. Unless by some miracle you have a SP3 XP install disc.

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 aod_

aod_
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:45 PM

Way to go. :thumbsup:

Now the hard work begins. One tip if you are installing XP you may need to download the service packs from www.microsoft.com and install them manually. Unless by some miracle you have a SP3 XP install disc.

Good Luck
Roger

Thanks! It's going Windows 7, hence the CPU and RAM upgrade. I've done a load of research, and the consensus seems to be - it runs fine on a P4, and 1GB RAM.
So essentailly I've swapped out the Celeron D 2.8GHz in my friends Dell, with the P4 3.0GHz in my Dell, and replaced the 2x 256 RAM modules, with 2x 512's.
It's only going to be used for web surfing and playing music.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

I have one P4 3.0Ghz w/2Gb memory running Win7. I use it for many chores. It's OK.
1Gb works two is better of course.

Cheers
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 25 August 2012 - 04:48 PM.

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users