Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Dimension 8400 Power Supply

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 scasper1

scasper1

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:50 PM

Hello All, I am working on an old Dell Dimension 8400 with a weird power supply problem, the supply test good but will not power the system up, unless you pull the cmos battery out. I read about this problem on a forum and they were talking about replacing the old power supply from a rev a00 to a rev a01. What is this? Is it a revised power supply. I have found no such number on the orignal supply. Would any one have a model number for the new supply I should use. Thanks for your time. Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,398 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

Well...I'm not a hardware person...but I think that I would consider replacing the CMOS battery...before drawing the conclusion that the PSU is the right diagnosis.

To my simple mind...the system should not work at all minus the CMOS battery, since it's the "brain" holding the hardware settings and facilitates proper functioning of the hardware elements. I've never tried to boot a systeam sans CMOS battery, so I don't really have a clue. Googling gives me conflicting answers.

<<...and they were talking about replacing the old power supply from a rev a00 to a rev a01.>>

FWIW: The thing to remember about the Web...is that persons talk about things that they don't understand perfectly...and they do so in a manner where the unknowing reader may think...that they actually know what accuracy level can be attached to their words.

That said, I find that various users include those references when talking about OEM equipment. I suspect the numbers refer to design changes that were implemented for whatever reason. I see no applicability of such to a replacement PSU, since the key for a PSU should be the wattage/form factor.

I could be all off-base, but...I don't claim to make sense or be correct :).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 25 August 2012 - 05:11 PM.

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:12 PM

I agree with Louis, Anyone can be an expert on the Internet. Here BC Advisors and up Have a proven track record.

I have to say I've never seen that problem on any Dell.

As far as I recall it the Dimension 8400 can use a Standard ATX power supply. The older white Dell towers often had special Dell power supplies. From the Dimension 2350 and newer they were ATX. Any time you are worried about compatibility hold the ATX plugs side by side and the colors should match.

Now lets use logic on this statement.

I read about this problem on a forum and they were talking about replacing the old power supply from a rev a00 to a rev a01.

. Logic says that if that was the problem, then how did it work when it left the factory?

More logic says that they had a bad power supply and changing it fixed the problem and they noticed that the two power supplies had different revision numbers.

My memory of this model says that it may have some bad capacitors by now depending on usage. You can read up on bad capacitors on www.badcaps.net. You can see examples of bad capacitors on the right hand side as you scroll down. Look for bad ones in the row of them next to the CPU or by the memory slots or sometimes between the add in card slots. Those are the ones that typically fail.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 25 August 2012 - 04:14 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:50 PM

Hi,

Hello All, I am working on an old Dell Dimension 8400 with a weird power supply problem, the supply test good but will not power the system up, unless you pull the cmos battery out.

How did you test the power supply?
Some power supply's have a test switch but this isn't 100% sure, you can only be certain if you use a multimeter to test all the outputs.

I agree with hamluis you should try first with a new cmos battery, also try to check closely all the connections around the cmos battery maybe somehow its creating a short circuit making the power supply to switch off for safety.

Well...I'm not a hardware person...but I think that I would consider replacing the CMOS battery...before drawing the conclusion that the PSU is the right diagnosis.To my simple mind...the system should not work at all minus the CMOS battery, since it's the "brain" holding the hardware settings and facilitates proper functioning of the

From my experience the machine will work without the CMOS battery, but will not be able to save any bios configuration change. In some machines they will start using BIOS defaults others (normally from big brands) will start without immediately losing the configuration they probably have other backup battery or something.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 scasper1

scasper1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

First I would like to thank everyone for the responses so far, I tested the power supply with a power supply tester. I have also tried and it will boot without the battery in. I am just wondering what the numers are: rev a00 and rev a10. Thanks agin all. Steve

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:24 AM

They are revisions of the hardware. They could be improvements or they could mean a change in design to make it cheaper to produce and not necessarily better

I hope that makes it clearer.
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users