Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent port 80

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:55 PM

I'm hosting a few services on a home server and I have needed to open specific ports. About 5 ports in total.

All five ports have been opened successfully with the exception of port 80. I have been using canyouseeme.org to check my ports and 80 is the only one that has had any problem.

Now, my router is set to DMZ. No firewalls, no antiviruses. Just a clean installation of Windows Server 2003 with windows firewall turned off.

However I notice the issue when I do the following:

1. I will see port 80 is blocked so I set my router to DMZ just to get it open.*
2. The port opens.
3. 15-20 seconds later the port is closed, and no traffic is allowed through.
4. All other ports (tested) are still open.

*Note: I am using DD-WRT firmware on my router. Every time I click apply on my router everything opens and then port 80 closes on it self.

Any ideas anyone?

Edited by xXAlphaXx, 25 August 2012 - 01:00 PM.

If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bjamrok

bjamrok

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

3. 15-20 seconds later the port is closed, and no traffic is allowed through.

Does this show in the router as closed? or does it just stop working from the outside world?
Sincerely,

Brian

"Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source projects and communities!"

http://jamroktech.blogspot.com

#3 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:31 PM

The router shows it as open, canyouseeme.org can see it as open for about 15 seconds and then it sees it as closed.
If I am helping you and I do not respond within 24 hours, please send me a PM. :)

#4 NpaMA

NpaMA

• Members
  • 635 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:53 PM

What type of ISP do you have? Many residential cable/DSL providers will block port 80 to stop you from hosting servers on a residential connection.

#5 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:54 PM

Time Warner. I have contacted them to specifically ask if they block port 80, they claim they do not.

#6 bjamrok

bjamrok

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:47 AM

I'm assuming on port 80 your running a web server. Try browsing from within the LAN to your WAN IP address on port 80 and see if it is indeed your local firewall that stops it. This should eliminate the ISP from the equation. There are some other issues with the dd-wrt firmware and port forwarding. Many of the recommendations seem to be a hard reset and re-flashing the router with the newest firmware.
Sincerely,

Brian

"Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source projects and communities!"

http://jamroktech.blogspot.com

#7 CarlosH

CarlosH

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:34 PM

Perhaps the router is using port 80 as well and this is causing conflicts?

Edited by CarlosH, 29 August 2012 - 02:42 PM.

#8 xXAlphaXx

xXAlphaXx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 867 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

Yep, port 80 is web server. LAN can access it, WAN cannot. I'm fairly certain the router isn't using port 80, as it isn't even showing as open most the time.

#9 CarlosH

CarlosH

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 29 August 2012 - 03:08 PM

Yep, port 80 is web server. LAN can access it, WAN cannot. I'm fairly certain the router isn't using port 80, as it isn't even showing as open most the time.

I would unplug the router and plug the server directly to the modem. connect using the WAN IP from another location (or your phone). see if you can connect.
That could tell you if there are any issues with the router firmware or server itself.

Edited by CarlosH, 29 August 2012 - 03:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users