Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden Loss of Video

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 M1R463

M1R463

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:48 PM

Well, I feel like I should probably be on here a lot more often than I normally am but let's be serious, it's better that we aren't otherwise we're not getting our problems solved :P

So, I've got, what I like to call, a "portable desktop" kind of laptop. I got it because I'm a gamer and had to leave my desktop behind when I left to join the AF. I got this laptop back in February 2011. As of today it is August 25, 2012. My laptop has had two major upgrades since I got it; I put a "hybrid" HDD in it with a larger capacity (it's supposed to be both SSD & HDD but imo it's just a faster HDD) and upgraded its memory from 6 GB to 10 GB.

That being said... the RAM upgrade was the most concerning... I've never done too many laptop upgrading or customizing before but there were 3x 2GB of RAM but only 2x of those sticks were removable. Regardless, I've been using this machine exactly like a desktop since I got it over a year ago and only 1 game has ever caused any problems for me. TF2. Yes, that game is still the one and only game that causes my computer's screen to just DIE or lock-up my entire system and give me a BSOD.

That being said, I just recently had a few moments of the same thing happening to me OUTSIDE of game. Heck, I wasn't even running steam and my screen went blank like a disconnecting video cable. Now, it's only happened 2x on me. The first was within 12 hrs ago and the second was within an hour ago.

My computer hardware/software knowledge is way above your normal end-user; been doing customization and cleaning/repair work for computers since '99. I work for Discount Tire Co. in their internal IT dept. So, really I'm just look to find some people with whom I can toss some questions at.... kinda like House... :P
I wanted to know if my "closing the lid of the laptop just about every night since I got it could be the cause of a failing ribbon or something to that nature? If so, what measures can I take to repair/care for it so that I make this last longer than 1.5 yrs?"

Computer Stats:
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
Intel Core i7 Q740 @ 1.73GHz
Memory - 10 GB DDR3
VGA - nvidia GeForce GTX285m

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users