Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Autochk fail after windows 7 logo

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Desiloader

Desiloader

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:42 PM

I have a Lenovo p580,
last night around 12:30am, I was watching a movie on my laptop and it randomly restarted. When it got past the welcome after a millions of beeps, the screen went black, so i hard rebooted it by holding down the power button. Then when the window sign begins to be created by those dots, about the second dot i got the blue screen of death, which i could not read because it automatically restarted and then i went into start up repair which, couldn't resolve the problem. I tried booting into safemode and it wasn't working so i thought it was a problem with the hdd. I realised the hdd area was really hot so i turned off the laptop and let it charge overnight.

Now the laptop is working fine, i ran a checkdisk during startup. However now, after the windows logo i have a very quick error which is something along the lines

autochk program not found, skipping autocheck (not 100% sure if those are the corrects words, but skipping and autochk not found is in it.

i have looked at the regitry value for autochk and found this

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager
BootExecute REG_MULTI_SZ autocheck autoch

what is the problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:56 PM

right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

#3 Desiloader

Desiloader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:01 PM

i just completed a checkdisk before the post. I should do it again?

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:05 PM

Hi,

Can you check the registry key you post, open the value bootExecute to see all lines inside, the default value is:
autocheck autochk *

Do you have the * at the end?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:07 PM

Did you run chkdsk /r or just chkdsk? The latter does absolutely nothing. The fact that autocheck wants to run means there is a dirty bit. You need to run chkdsk /r if you have not done so.

#6 Desiloader

Desiloader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:08 PM

i have

autocheck autoch

Attached Files

#7 Desiloader

Desiloader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:23 PM

i didn't run it through command prompt, it was automatically ran after i rebooted, right after the boot screen

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:45 PM

right-click on a command prompt icon and open as administrator. In the command prompt window type: chkdsk /r (then press ENTER). You'll be told the disk is in use and asked if you want to run checkdisk on the next boot. Say yes, exit the command prompt window, and reboot.

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:04 PM

i have

autocheck autoch

Hi,

Edit the value and change to:
autocheck autochk *

Your screenshot shows autoch instead of autochk
Please take note there is a space between autochk and the *

Edited by SleepyDude, 25 August 2012 - 03:05 PM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#10 Desiloader

Desiloader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:18 AM

can you explain the reasoning behind this? like why would the laptop change the value/or delete some letters (the "k *) from the registry. I just don't want it to go in booting loop and/or mess anything up, as i really like this laptop.loll

Edited by Desiloader, 26 August 2012 - 03:19 AM.

#11 Desiloader

Desiloader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:24 AM

i did run chkdsk /r while i was away, i came back and noticed the laptop was on the home screen, so it seemed to have gone through the process without any interruptions

#12 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:24 AM

can you explain the reasoning behind this? like why would the laptop change the value/or delete some letters (the "k *) from the registry. I just don't want it to go in booting loop and/or mess anything up, as i really like this laptop.loll

Its a good question but i don't know why you have that value changed, it could be another program that fail to correctly change a multivalue registry key.
You can find the default value on this Microsoft page http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc963230.aspx about the BootExecute entry.

___
Rui

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:08 AM

i did run chkdsk /r while i was away, i came back and noticed the laptop was on the home screen, so it seemed to have gone through the process without any interruptions

And does it now boot properly?

#14 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:38 AM

There are programs that changes the autochk value.

You never answered Allan.Explain us your current issue? Can you boot normally?

#15 Desiloader

Desiloader
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

Thank You Allan and SleepyDude, I did what both of you guys suggested and the laptop is rebooting properly, after windows logo quick black screen then the welcome screen. Thank You!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users