Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Boots - Display is trashed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Scottintexas

Scottintexas

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:24 AM

Hello all. First the OS is Windows XP Media Center Edition SP3. Running on a Toshiba Satellite.
When windows boots up the Windows Splash Screen is there with the little progress bar scrolling. After that the screen looks like it was wet paint dragged in a straight line down. Nothing can be recognized so there is no way to trouble shoot. I booted up in safe mode and it is waiting for me to do something. What do I look for? I think there is a corrupt driver or something. Once in a while it will boot up properly. And then it works just like it should.

I have run anti malware/anti virus software. I have a good firewall and downloaded files are scanned immediately. Email is scanned as it is received. I have not downloaded and run Malware Bytes yet. I will while I wait for a response from the masters of computers.

Any ideas? Any magic software I can run to fix this?

Edited by hamluis, 25 August 2012 - 10:57 AM.
Fixed topic title -QE. Moved from XP to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

Still searching for the "Read My Mind and Do It" button.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:17 AM

Have you tried uninstalling your video drivers, then reinstalling same? Do you have your Drivers CD?

Display problems could be source, could be output device...could be heat-related, IMO.

Can you try connecting to a monitor to see if problem repeats on different output device?

Source could be the hardware itself or the drivers.

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Scroll down to Display Adapters...double-click. Double-click the detail item now revealed. Click on Drivers tab, push Unistall button. Reboot the system and reinstall the video drivers from the CD.

Louis

#3 Scottintexas

Scottintexas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

No disc. Computers don't come with discs anymore. They want you to restore the computer from a partition on the hard drive and wipe out everything and spend the next 5 hours trying to update outdated windows. Not to mention backing up and restoring several gigs of files.

I thought about heat and let the computer cool down for an entire day. Same start up problem. I ran Malwarebytes and there were some problems found. One was a trojan called fsharp something. The others were called Malicious software and I killed them all. I have not restarted yet because I wanted to see the answer here first.

Stupid of me not to try connecting to another monitor. I'll try that if this restart fails. I was looking for some sort of Driver Update software just now. If the video driver was trashed by the trojan or one of the malicious programs, then maybe I could just update/fix the drivers. I had driver Detective but can't remember the friggin key! Now I have to hunt around to see if I have it saved somewhere!

Man, I hate computers!

I'll keep checking here in case you come up with any other ideas. I'm going to try to create a boot disc. Problem is that I don't know if I can do that while running in safe mode.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:56 AM

You don't need "driver update software" at all...you should always get the drivers for your system...from the Toshiba website.

Start point: http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp?nav=Download .

Since you found evidence of malware, I am moving this to the Am I Infected forum where the more knowledgeable can try to assist.

Louis

#5 Scottintexas

Scottintexas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:00 AM

Thank you for your help. I'll follow up on the AM forum.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users