Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Someone is remote controlling my cursor!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jodie99

jodie99

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:39 AM

After much time spent troubleshooting and re-installing OSX Mountain Lion, etc., I've finally figured out that someone is remotely controlling my computer.

Screen sharing is off. This even happens when I'm not on the Internet.

Thankfully, the person went too far and I figured it out - FINALLY.

How do I stop this. IT'S MAKING ME CRAZY. I feel like my home has been robbed. Violated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 05:55 PM

Jodie99

You say you suspect malware, which is always possible. I would suggest you post this in the section 'Am I infected . . .' and wait for a reply. List your computer model, operating system and as good a description of what is happening in your post.

It is an unhappy fact of life that much of the expertise on this forum is Windows based - that's where most of the problems are - but there are people who know there way around Apples as well. Don't look at me - I'm not one of them !

Chris Cosgrove

#3 jodie99

jodie99
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 06:14 PM

Thanks a lot, Chris. I wondered why nobody responded to this or another post.

I fixed it after I posted, but at a great loss of time. I re-installed the operating system and changed all passwords and changed the name and passwords for my wireless network. I think the last is what fixed it.

I re-named it "Getalifeloser". I life in a big apartment building in a big city and I now realize why another tenant's network is named something too vulgar for me to write here.

#4 brightey

brightey

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2012 - 10:55 AM

@Jodie99 - Congrats!!! No more intruder. Here is a suggestion, you may want to use the MAC filter on your network. Only the MAC address you input has access to your network.

Have a wonderful day.

#5 kanadaguy

kanadaguy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 23 October 2012 - 10:09 AM

@Jodie99 - Congrats!!! No more intruder. Here is a suggestion, you may want to use the MAC filter on your network. Only the MAC address you input has access to your network.

Sorry not sure what the proper edicate is on posting reply's, so if I am overstepping here someone can let me know...

That was really incorrect info to give him, simply adding mac address filter on your wifi network is useless... It may work to keep say the next door neighbour from connecting to your network by accident however will not stop someone who is targeting you and has trivial knowledge. He can simply watch your traffic and see the macs are being used and dos the machine and assume thier mac address.

I am a security nut so I use static ip's on all my devices and add static arp tables on each machine (this can be done via scripts on both linux and batch files on startup in windows).... Make sure you set your computers on the network to not accept unsolicited incoming traffic (unless you have shares and the such which you would have to add to your firewall rules and specify only the ip's that are supposed to have access to the shares...)

There are many ways to setup a more secure network... Remember wifi is like a hub in that anyone who is connected to the same wifi ap your using can sniff all network... I would put any computers that you do anything important on the wired router and set ap isolation so that anyone attached to your wifi cannot see the wired devices... Sorry I could go on and on wifi is just so insecure in many ways and it is a lot of work to secure it... Even when you have it locked down you have to worry about vulnurabilities in WPS for example that come up...

Anyhow good luck and maybe invest in a vpn account...

Ciao

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users