Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 brillo

brillo

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:10 PM

I am adding an external USB hard drive on I6000 XP MCE. When I plug in the new hard drive, go to computer management, click disk management, I get this alert: "Disk Management console failed to connect to the remote device because the DM remoting service is not in the Windows Firewall exception list. Add the Disk management remoting service (dmremote.exe) to the windows firewwall exception list and try again" When I search dmremote.exe I get 3 files: dmremote in C:\i386 (an app file), DMREMOTE.EXE-2FDA1CCB in C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch (a PF file), dmremote in C:\WINDOWS\system32 (an app file).

Which of these is the correct file to add to the exception list? And if possible, info on how to add a file to the exception list. Looks straight forward but if there is a procedure outlined somewhere... where? (Neither Dell or Microsoft will even tell me the correct exe file to put in exception list. When I say external hard drive, they say third party hardware and help is finito)

Anyone with knowledge on this, I appreciate your response.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:03 PM

That would be the one in c:\windows\system32.
And if you're lucky, really lucky, that's all it'll ask for but it'll probably want a port exception afterwards.
It's windows firewall that's screwed up, not you. :thumbsup:
First thing to get disabled on any windows system I own. It's extremely lame and more of a pain then it's worth. OK, done ranting. :flowers:
Have a look below:

Troubleshooting Windows Firewall settings in Windows XP Service Pack 2

#3 brillo

brillo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:16 PM

Thanks for fast reply. Does disabling windows firewall open the system up to bad stuff? Also, I have McAfee firewall, disable that, too?

#4 brillo

brillo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:31 PM

OK, I put C:\WINDOWS\system32\dmremote in exceptions list. Then I just went ahead and disabled windows firewall per hitsquad's suggestion. Now, I click on disk management and get "The dependency service or group failed to start" Where do I go from here?

#5 brillo

brillo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 06:56 PM

Also, when I click disk management, a statement in the Comp Management screen says "Unable to connect to Logical disk Manager service". So I went to services, found Log Disk Man set at manual, I rt clicked on that, clicked start and it said "Could not start Ldm Admin Service service on Local computer error 1068: the dependency servixce or group failed to start. This happens whether or not ext. drive is connected, whether or not online.

Any suggestions?

#6 brillo

brillo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:41 PM

Then I went to services and started LDM admin services, still get "The dependency service or group failed to start" back at disk management.

Help.

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:53 PM

Your USB hard drive should have come with software that installs it (and some even come with Dantz Retrospect backup software).

After you install the software for it, it should be recognized by Win XP automatically as a USB device.

I have XP Pro and a Western Digital external USB drive and it was pretty much automatic.

By the way - use only one firewall (and preferably not the one that comes with XP). Two will cause conflicts and may well be the cause of the problems you are experiencing.

#8 brillo

brillo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 12:40 AM

Maybe I should have said this is Seagate 300 GB internal HD that I put in ADS USB2 HD kit, both new. The Seagate does come with software. I installed the software, do as directed, click on restart. It restarts, takes a bit longer than usual to get to desktop screen, then Seagate comes on screen with this, Expected to find the Seagate (serial #) hard drive as primary slave HD, but didn't, click to try again or click to exit. Try again brings you back eventually to same page.

Something I'm missing here. Probably obvious to all but me.

#9 brillo

brillo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 01:10 AM

So my point with the previous is that the new HD is intended as internal and software is written for internal installation. But, for what it's worth, device manager knows the "USB mass storage device" is there. If I click on that for properties, get "code 10, click troubleshoot to start troubleshooter for this device", troubleshoot goes to Help and Support which suggests uninstall and reinstall. Tried that, no different result, This issue occurs before new HD is installed. Computer recognizes new HD is there but can't start it........

#10 brillo

brillo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 80 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 03:47 AM

This is embarrassing. I tried everything. Called seagate, called ADS, nobody could pin it down. Never heard of this problem, windows recognized the HD, but not quite completely. So, just to be sure, as a last ditch effort, I opened the case of the HD, checked connections. The wide one was a little loose, went in observably farther than it had been. Put it back together. voila!!! it works. Take away lesson: remember the basics.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users