Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

download and install TinyCore onto a Kingston pendrive?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 defurman

defurman

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:39 AM

Friend of mine has been having problems running Windows on her notebook so i would like to show her the benefits of running a Linux OS "TinyCore 4.5". The problem is i don't know how to install TinyCore onto the pendrive? So, could someone help me out here please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:03 PM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 03:55 PM

Tinycore is pretty minimal, so I don't know if your fried will be impressed or not.

That said, this says to run it live and install it that way. That's guaranteed to work.

A couple of other options:

1. Open up a commandline, and type, as root:

1. dd if=<tinycore_image> of=/dev/<usb_device>

You can get the device name by opening the terminal before plugging the thumbdrive in, waiting a few seconds and typing dmesg in the window. It will show something like sde: sde1 when it sees it. You'll need the sde (replace it with what is shown in the command window) device name (of=/dev/sde) for the above command.

2. You can try unetbootin (in most repositories and can be downloaded direct on the internet). This one many not work, but it probably won't give you any errors saying there was a problem. To use this one, you plug the drive in, fdisk and format it as root (will need to be some vfat version, lowercase 'b' always works for me), mount the drive, run unetbootin and point it to the tinycore iso and tell it which device to use in the USB dropdown box.

No matter how you go about it, make sure to try booting it afterward because the lack of errors doesn't automatically mean it will work.

#3 A Future Pilot

A Future Pilot

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:47 AM

If she has a netbook or a low powered notebook, I'd suggest trying out peppermint OS: http://www.peppermintos.com/

#4 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:05 PM

me to peppermint i was really impressed with it. light and easy to use. lots of good program out of the box and since it is based on ubuntu 12.04 you can add whatever other programs you want from the software center

Edited by rburkartjo, 14 September 2012 - 02:05 PM.

quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users