Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to setup a SSD?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Vaine

Vaine

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:45 PM

Im getting a SSD 60gb Sata III drive. How would i have to set it up where the ssd is for all my games and windows and the second hdd which will be new gonna buy a sata hdd for programs like adobe products, ms office..the usual big crap
Would I have to partition both drives, is there a guide for this? or do I need specialized softwares

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:22 AM

Well first, you must install the SSD, to install windows on it.

If you have another HDD in your computer with windows installs on it and you dont want to use that for booting, you must re-format it and erase all partitions. If not, dont worry about that.

Once you have the SSD installed, insert the windows disk and install windows.

Once you have windows running, you can partition it with Disk Management to have a seperate drive letter for games.

FYI

I had a 40gb SSD, installed windows 7 ultimate on it with google chrome, virus scanner and various programs, and used a HDD for everything else. The 40 gb was not enough space, after a few months of updates, so be careful how much space you leave of the main partition of the ssd.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#3 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:24 AM

For your HDD, you install it just like you SSD. You can install it at the same time as your SSD, or after you have installed windows. Its up to you. You dont have to do anything with the HDD, it will show up as its own drive letter in my computer. You can install whatever you want into it.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

I'm going to suggest at least doubling the SSD size. In the long term you will be happier that way. I have 51.2Gb free out of 148GB (Microsoft GBs) that includes 58.6Gb of data files. If I had bought a 60Gb, forget about it. The 58.6 GB is files I want on the SSD for speed of access.

Since I use a SSD for a boot drive I want all of windows including programs, Users and the Page file on it for speed.

Having free space allows Trim to work better. It will also contribute to longer life as the trim function and wear leveling function have more free space to utilize.

It has been in use since April 2011.
Attached File  SSD Toolbox.jpg   119.39KB   7 downloads
As you can see health and Life are good at this time.

Cheers
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#5 Vaine

Vaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 06:56 PM

Well I found a 60 gig one for a killer deal 49 bucks.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227729

Though this one is doubled in size, what do you think of it?

Then to stack it up, upgrading my IDE hdd I have now to this one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236068

And this is my motherboard

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/P67A-GD55--B3-.html

It says its compatible with those two

Edited by Vaine, 25 August 2012 - 06:59 PM.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 07:31 AM

I would have bet it was an OCZ. I suggest you go read the user reviews on the Newegg page.

The two brands I trust for a SSD are Intel and Samsung.

Once you use a SSD you don't want to go back.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#7 s1lents0ul

s1lents0ul

• Members
  • 544 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2012 - 06:17 PM

Yea my OCZ SSD crashed, and I think it was bad from the start, but barely worked just enough to get me to install windows.
==]--s1lents0ul-->

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users