Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Question

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:50 PM

I got this in a PM and thought that it would be better served here on the forums (rather than just giving my own opinions and leaving it at that. Here's the text of the PM:

Question
does memory compatibility have that much impact if its not compatible with the mobo??..it only cost me 60 chips, boots up and works pretty good 7 times out of ten...I do get slow downs and lags which it never used to do before I changed memory (i bought it from staples..that was easy..but living with the memory they sold me isnt.. )..I used trend micro housecall and its all clean (like the installation of windows I put on not so long ago)..

So far I have disconnected power from the cable modem to flush the cache there and used CleanUp! to remove unwanted temp files..it flies now but before long I dare say I'll hear my fiancee moan and groan about how the comp is slow and how it works differently ever day...blah blah blah...:-)

I can purseude her to spend $240 on 1024mb of the right memory if and only if that will cure window's rather erratic behaviour.

What do you think I should do?
P.s..if I did change to 1024 mb, could I install my current 512MB memory from Kbyte on my dell dimension 3000 to an older dell dimension d333 to boost performance there (it runs win xp pro on 192 MB .. hysterical.gif )...

Sorry for the lengthy post here....look forward to hearing from u.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

• Topic Starter

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:12 PM

1) Memory compatibility does impact performance - but the change is sporadic. Generally, if you don't buy the memory that the mobo maker certified for it's boards - then you're on your own. But, folks like Crucial and Kingston have a very good gaurantee for their products that may make them worth trying for you.

2) Other memory - what's the return policy where you bought it? If you can return it - do so, based on the problems that you're having now. Is 7 out of 10 times good enough for you? It's not for me - I insist upon no errors with my RAM. You might try running this free, floppy based memory tester to see if there's a problem with the chip: http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/docinfo.asp Run it for at least 2 hours, but overnight is better - let us know if there's any errors.

3) Your fiancee doesn't want you to spend money on RAM? Are you sure that you've picked the right woman? Do you think that maybe you could trade her for the RAM? (just kidding!) Link to the Manly Man's Advice Column (it's a hoot!): http://www.bcsdesign.com/comedyzone/manly.shtml

Seriously tho', $240 for the 1 gB of the right RAM is way too steep! Crucial shows 1 gB of RAM for the Dell Dimension 3000 at $129!

1 gB of RAM will be plenty - but you'll get used to it quickly and will then tend to overload it with open apps, startups and extra services. This will necessitate even more RAM unless you're good about your housekeeping. If you're able to keep the clutter down, 1 gB will do you just fine. I've got 2 gB and leave everything open while playing FEAR and still get the occasional bit of lag (but when it's down to just 1 app - watch out!).

4) Can you use it in your Dell Dimension D333? I wasn't able to find this model on the Crucial site, but expect that since it's an older machine the memory won't be compatible.

But, it's easy to get an idea. First, look at your current RAM - notice about how many little gold fingers it has - do the slots on the old PC have about this many? Next, is the length of the chip the same length as the slot on the older motherboard? Finally, check the divots between the little gold fingers on the RAM - see where it's designed to fit only one way because of those "divots" - are they the same as the one's in the old PC's motherboard?

If that works - then check to see if the system is compatible with that type and size of RAM. Even if it's not the same brand that's "authorized" it may work (as long as it fits and is within the tolerances of the BIOS).

Edited by usasma, 13 March 2006 - 05:55 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 usasma

usasma

• Topic Starter

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:56 PM

Anyone know of a CD image for one of the floppy based memory testers?

#4 jchedot

jchedot

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 07:53 PM

Seems to me I made a bootable CD (of course I can't find it now) from here: Memtest86+. The link to download a bootable precompiled iso is towards the bottom of the page.
I finally got it all together, now if I could just remember where I put it.

#5 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:14 PM

Update:

Thank you USASMA for starting this thread for me. I have run the memtest diagnostics utility and it seems there are no faulty cells in the installed module. I'm sure that there is an incompatibility issue here but I will reinstall Windows xp again and use the killdrive utility to remove any lurking malware from the last infection (Thanks to suggestion by Albert Frankenstein).

I have however ran microsoft's malicious software removal tool, AVG and Ad-aware but nothing was found other than a few data miner cookies.

Before I do go through the rigmorol of re-installing, do you think its worth doing given that there is visibly no bad software installed even the hijack this log appeared short and trim

..I am however still having trouble with user accounts and allocating users to groups..ie: I get an error that the standard user group could not be found. I also cannot rename users from an administrative standpoint and my comp strruggles while closing windows if a few have been open for any duration. When logging off, there is usually a wait for InCD.exe to unload also. This is why I'm having probs interpreting memory trouble or windows problems that are causing lags, stalls and other pains in the arse.

All input much appreciated
Thanks for your advice
Darren

#6 Darren De Wilde

Darren De Wilde

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  

Posted 18 March 2006 - 05:50 PM

This post should now be closed as the problems I was experiencing were not memory related. Thank you all for your help, advice and attention.

Darren De Wilde.

(Some of the problems related to incompatible Ahead software InCD version and the other prob with my web pages loading slow or stopping were related to the firewall.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users