Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Volume Controls Multimedia Keyboards

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mediokrates

Mediokrates

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:29 PM

Hi all,

I'm running XP on an HP Pavilion media center m7580n.
Recently, I noticed that the computer was no longer responsive to the volume control keys on my MS Natural keyboard Pro, connected by USB.
I switched the USB port... no change.
I tried updating the driver, I had the current driver.

So I hooked up my wireless hp multimedia keyboard 5187URF.
Similar problem.
The other hotkeys work, like internet, email, play, eject, sleep.
But when I try to use the volume control keys, I get the onscreen volume bar, but no response. It neither increases or decreases.
It simply says "Increasing Volume" or "Decreasing Volume" and disappears after 1 second, whether I'm still holding down the button or not.

When I hit mute, it says "Mute Off."

I updated the driver, but no change.

This seems to be a common problem, but I can't find a solution.

Any help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:04:52 PM

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:31 PM

Does the volume change when you right click the sound icon in the task bar and use that to adjust the volume?

Do you use speakers?
Have you checked to make sure the speakers are plugged tightly into the speaker port? Are they turned on? Power cord (if your speakers have one)plugged all the way into the outlet? Do your speakers have a volume control? If so is it turned up? Do you have another set of speakers you can try?

I'm asking the basic questions because I have had people complain about no sound and it turned out the problem was related to one of the above.

If checking the things I mentioned don't work it's possible that your sound device has died since you said you used 2 different keyboards and neither worked to control the volume. It's also possible that your speakers have come to the end of their useful life.

If you haven't checked Sound properties do so.

Start menu/Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices/Volume tab.

Under Device volume click Advanced. Make sure nothing is muted. If it is unmute.

edit to add: My Microsoft multimedia keyboard does not say "Increasing Volume" or "Decreasing Volume" when I use it. I get a small graphic in the lower right corner that shows the progress with a green bar. I was hoping it would say increasing or decreasing so I could see if it disappeared after a second or two.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 24 August 2012 - 07:47 PM.

#3 Mediokrates

Mediokrates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

Yes...

everything works fine, just not the volume control keys on the keyboard.
Using the volume control icon, I can adjust the volume.

Speakers are working, and their volume control works.

When using the volume control keys on the MS keyboard, nothing occurs, not even the appearance of the volume bar.
When using the hp wireless, the volume bar appears, but is not affected when using the volume control keys.

However, I am now reminded, that about 6 months ago some of the control buttons on my remote control, most notably the volume controls stopped working.
I just hooked it up and confirmed that the remote is sending signals, and they are being received (used the remote to hibernate the computer), but the volume controls fail to register any response, not even the appearance of the volume bar. I tried to resolve this at the time, but couldn't find anything to fix it.

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:00 PM

Do you have keyboard software installed? The only thing I can think of, if it is installed, is to open it up and see if there is anything there you can tweak.

The software I have for my keyboard does have a setting for either showing or not showing the volume bar. Of course showing it doesn't do anything for actually making it work to fiddle with the volume.

I will note that there was a Microsoft update for my Microsoft keyboard and my Microsoft wireless mouse that combined the separate programs for them into one. Prior to this update I do not know if the keyboard software had anything to enable/disable the volume bar.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 24 August 2012 - 08:04 PM.

#5 Mediokrates

Mediokrates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

All I can find is a program called "Enhanced Multimedia Keyboard Solution." I believe it is KBD.exe.

I've gone to the hp site, and the only keyboard related driver update was sp26752, which was a fix... restoring the "Buttons" window in the "keyboard" section in the control panel. I've installed that and successfully programmed the internet and e-mail buttons on my keyboard.

I've confirmed that all my other specialty buttons work... sleep, eject, play, pause, stop, etc... all except volume related buttons.

I tried uninstalling the enhanced multimedia keyboard solutions software and reinstalling... no resolution.

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

Enhanced Multimedia Keyboard Solution is developed by Hewlett-Packard

http://enhanced-multimedia-keyboard-solution.software.informer.com/

Did you INSTALL Microsoft IntelliType Pro software for your keyboard? This is what I am referring to. If you did it *should* be listed under Start Menu/All Programs/Microsoft Keyboard (or something similar)

When I opened it nothing there jumped out at me. At this point I have nothing else to suggest.

Edited by Queen-Evie, 26 August 2012 - 12:00 PM.

#7 Mediokrates

Mediokrates
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 12:36 PM

I'm using my HP keyboard now, not the MS one.
Takes up less room on my desk, which is getting crowded.
Would intellitype be compatible?

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

Intellitype is for Microsoft keyboards. All it does is allow you to customize the keyboard.

The only thing in it relating to volume keys is the ability to display volume and mute status on the screen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users