Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random restarts and split duplicated screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Estanko

Estanko

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:31 PM

Hello. I am having a problem. My computer keeps randomly restarting (however, it works fine in safe mode and safe mode with networking, apart from the display). Upon restarting there is usually a black vertical strip on the right of the screen, and to the right of that a strip that is a duplicate of the leftmost side of the screen. This split screen manifests right from boot up, including the Asus logo and the startup screen, in other words, it's always there.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Occasionally, I am able to boot with a normal screen until the computer restarts (no BSOD). I am able to get into safe mode most of the time, albeit with the display issue usually - the few times I haven't got into safe mode a blank screen has come up that changes colour (various black to grey), followed by splitting in half vertically (one half black) and the other half changing colour (greys) - then I have to manually power off.

When booting into normal mode, sometimes it restarts almost immediately, other times it will last up to half an hour or an hour, allowing me to operate as normal, with the restart happening at any time without warning, even when computer is idle.

I do not seem to be able to disable automatic restart on system failure.

I've run Malware bytes and SuperAnti Spyware, with no infections detected, system restore didn't solve the problem. My laptop is five years old (Asus F3Sc). The graphics card driver for my card, Nvidia GeForce 8400M G, is up to date according to my device manager, although it's three years old (8.15.11.8361 01/07/09). Is it worth updating from the Nvidia site? Could it be a hardware problem or should I continue to rule out possible software issues? I've never opened my laptop to see what's going on in there or for cleaning.

Windows Vista 32-bit

Edited by hamluis, 08 September 2012 - 07:51 AM.
Moved from Vista to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:59 PM

The bad news is that this is a definite hardware problem. The fact that you see it from the time the Asus logo appears is the key in that determination. To explain there is no video driver loaded until windows loads.

To see if it is the screen or the video in the laptop, hook up the laptop to a external screen and see how that looks. Hook it up before turning on the laptop. Many to most of them will detect it hooked up and use it when done that way.If the image is good then it could be the laptop screen. If it still looks funny then video adapter.

For reference: asus f3sc-as127e LCD problem.
From teh second post

an asus f3sc

Not sure, it could be a loose connection with one of the ribbon cables inside. If you are familiar with laptops, you could try pulling it apart. But I wouldn't recommend it if you haven't done it before.

Does it also have problems with an external screen?

I have the same laptop and also just out of warranty the video driver plays up. It uses the 8400M video chip which is one of the problem ones that Nvidia made a couple of years ago. It overheats and eventually the chip separates, causing problems. Mine exhibits the split screen problem which when you google it, is very common, not only with Asus, but also Dell, HP etc..

I was given a verbal estimate about $570 to replace the motherboard, as they charge between $50 and $150 for a quote !

Here's hoping the display is OK on a external monitor.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 24 August 2012 - 04:04 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 Estanko

Estanko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

Thank you Roger. Your advice is extremely generous and helpful. I can't believe I didn't think to google my laptop model with a description of the problem *slaps head*. Just need to find an external monitor now, as I don't have my own. Will let you know the results. Incidentally, the left hinge completely broke through the casing about a year ago (a manufacturer defect affecting many ASUS laptops of the time), leaving the cable running from motherboard to display jutting out and exposed - wonder if that's a possible cause of the problem.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:52 PM

That is always a possibility. As is a bad screen or a bad video card. A external monitor will help narrow things down.

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 Estanko

Estanko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:46 AM

Resolved: I took my laptop to a repair shop and they discovered the problem was the graphics card. The display is still funny on different monitors. Looks like it's new computer time as i dont think a replacement motherboard is worth the cost. Windows does run with the graphics driver disabled, albeit at low resolution and on the plus side the hinge was fixed, so now i'll have a spare laptop at least. Thanks for your help Roger. Should this be moved to the hardware forum?

Mod Edit: Moved to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 08 September 2012 - 07:52 AM.

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2012 - 09:57 AM

To bad it was the most expensive part of the whole computer.

Good Luck on your purchase of a new one. Also we have a Questions and advice for Buying a New Computer Forum.

I like in no particular order.

Lenovo Thinkpads (Not Lenovo non Thinkpads), They have a good network of local service centers.
Dells. If with In home warranty.
Toshiba, I'm on a business model Toshiba right now.
Acer for economy pricing. I use one of these since it was cheap and it is for twice a month Online banking/Billpaying only.
Sony for Overall except price.

General thoughts, If you can afford it get a model with a SSD, You'll love the speed, not the price.
If you are buying a extended warranty, Only buy from the manufacturer. Accidental damage coverage is available but pricy.
Business models cost a bit more, IE Thinkpads, But are usually more durable.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 08 September 2012 - 10:01 AM.
Additional content

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users