Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Programs running the background

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 lechols

lechols

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

Hi,

Is there somewhere I can go to find out what is running on my computer. I did a diagnostic scan and 45% of my available memory is being used but I don't have anything open so I'm curious. I'm running winXP and I have 2G RAM

Thanks,
Lisa

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:00 PM

Are you having some type of problem with your system?

Is there some reason that you concern yourself with memory usage and running tasks/programs?

Louis

#3 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:20 PM

Try process explorer

http://download.sysinternals.com/files/ProcessExplorer.zip

#4 lechols

lechols
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

I'm just curious. And I know that there is a way to see what programs are running on my machine I just don't know how to do it.

Narenxp - I can't seem to get the link you gave to my other computer

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:44 PM

Task Manager

#6 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 08:09 AM

You can use Process Explorer as suggested or msconfig - startup, CCleaner or Task Manager to see what is running.

When my WinXP Pro 4GB starts up I've cut mine down to 35 processes as I've remove all the crap. My Vista laptop 2GB has 55 processes running and thats cut down as well.

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

FWIW: There is no magic number...for determining what processes should be running on a system in the background...it's all a matter of individual knowledge/taste.

The number will vary, depending on what programs/browser add-ons are installed, since many of the programs which feature any sort of scanning "service" will run constantly. This includes useless apps such as registry cleaners, in addition to necessary apps such as your AV program, other malware-defense programs, programs for which you have sanctioned update checks with the parent website...and so on.

Louis

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:31 PM

You can use Process Explorer as suggested or msconfig - startup, CCleaner or Task Manager to see what is running.

When my WinXP Pro 4GB starts up I've cut mine down to 35 processes as I've remove all the crap. My Vista laptop 2GB has 55 processes running and thats cut down as well.

Neither msconfig nor ccleaner tell you what is running. You need task manager or a similar app.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users