Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New computer, looking to upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PantherU

PantherU

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:49 AM

Hey there everyone, new to this forum. I shopped around and of the six or seven sites I checked out, this was the best by far. Of course one of the sites I checked was Ask Jeeves, but oh well.

So here's the short version: got my old computer from my parents, had it for about a week and the motherboard fried. It didn't bother me, I didn't pay for it and it was close to 10 years old anyways. Moving on, I bought a new computer (in fact, this computer). I know the thing is pretty basic stuff, but it's all I could afford last week and I knew that I could upgrade things to get it running to be able to do what I want. Since I've gotten it, it's had some trouble streaming HD video, something that I'm not going to wait to fix considering my fiance and I rock Netflix pretty hard and I need to be able to create basic videos. So, I figure I'll tell you guys what I've got in the thing, and then what I want to be able to do, and if you could help me figure out which components to add I'd appreciate it very much.

Specs:
Processor: AMD Dual-core E-450 1.65 Ghz
GPU/VPU: AMC Radeon HD 6320
Memory: 4GB DDR3 PC3-10600 1333 MHz
Hard Drive: 1TB HDD
Case: 14.5" x 3.9" x 10.6"
with Windows 7 Home 64-Bit

The only thing I'm planning to do no matter what is expand my memory to 8GB; there's another slot in the case and I plan on adding another 4 gig to make it work.

As far as what I plan to do with the machine, there's nothing terribly crazy. The videos I'm talking about are just webcam recordings where I talk for my website and I was just hoping to be able to put a video together without spending 3 hours of waiting time while the computer churns the butter. As far as games, the most advanced game I'm planning to install is Sims 3; my real gaming is done on my PS3 and 360.

I'm actually somewhat of a novice at fixing internal hardware and making it run; the most advanced thing I've ever done to my computer is I replaced the power supply in the old one, and I still needed the step-by-step directions to get it done.

I'm assuming that because the case is so much smaller than any PC case I've had, there has to be a set of different internal components that I'd be able to install.

I really appreciate all the help you can give me; I definitely want to be able to build a computer from scratch in the future and I think souping up this one would be a good step towards a project like that.

Edited by hamluis, 24 August 2012 - 12:31 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to System Building/Upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:02 PM

There isn't much you can upgrade in a laptop except for that 8GB ram upgrade which might or might not help in smoothing HD videos.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#3 PantherU

PantherU
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:18 PM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:14 PM

This is a desktop computer.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

I assume this was a prebuilt PC? If so, who made it and what is the model number? What motherboard do you have? At first glance, it appears to either be some variant of an HTPC or a generic home office computer. If your motherboard supports it, I would look into getting a better CPU/APU. The case size will be a limiting factor for most graphics upgrades.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users