Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network Security Key keeps getting Changed

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tikoxi

Tikoxi

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:30 AM

It is as it sounds. I will be happily browsing or downloading or whatever, and I will spontaneously lose my connection to my router. After a little digging, I find that the network security key has changed itself to something else, and hense broke my connection. I copy and paste the real code *which I now have in a note document -.-* and it works fine again for days, weeks - this time was a couple of months before it changes itself again. FYI: It always changes to the same thing.

I am skeptical that this is a virus, but it is ruddy infuriating. Help/tips/suggestions?

Running windows 7 I think for an OS. Various browsers, though that shouldnt matter. It's not a browser problem I don't think...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:48 AM

Hi,

The problem you describe could be that your router reset itself.

Did you change the default login password to access the router configuration?
If you answer Yes, did the login password revert to the default when the network security key changed?
If No, open the router configuration page and change the password used to login. This will help to check if all settings got reverted to default due to a router reset.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 Tikoxi

Tikoxi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:53 AM

Unfortunately the router in question is my grandparents, and I don't have access to the actual username and password *mainly because the fools don't know it themselves nor have it recorded -.-* Seeing as my computer will still automatically connect to it however, I assume the details are still the same. It's just the security key on this computer *and no other, had another laptop I used that has never had this issue* Keeps resetting itself.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 07:59 AM

Unfortunately the router in question is my grandparents, and I don't have access to the actual username and password *mainly because the fools don't know it themselves nor have it recorded -.-* Seeing as my computer will still automatically connect to it however, I assume the details are still the same. It's just the security key on this computer *and no other, had another laptop I used that has never had this issue* Keeps resetting itself.

Sorry now i understand the change occurs on your local computer and not in the router.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

You could try to remove the Wireless connection and recreate the configuration again to see if it fix the problem.
- How to Remove a Wireless Network in Windows 7
- How to Connect to Wireless Networks

Is the wireless signal strong on the laptop with the problem?

___
Rui

#6 Tikoxi

Tikoxi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:17 AM

Actually, the signal strength is something that has confused me for a long time. Normally it holds at around a reasonable 200kb/s (or Bp/s, I'm not entirely sure of the units. whichever isn't ridiculously fast/slow) but viewing a graphical representation of my connectivity, it appears I have short and fairly regular disconnects. only about a second in length, not enough to interrupt anything I'm doing and using it, I don't notice when browsing & loading. It must only be a wireless issue, because the problem is alleviated when I take my laptop down and plug it right into the router/modem but I am at a loss to explain it. *That said, a few times the router just drops my connection entirely, but I've always had that*

#7 bjbailey21

bjbailey21

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:46 AM

If there are no changes in the defaults on the router you could do a factory reset and change the login info on the router for your loving grandparents and note it somewhere safe for them. Then once you have done that you might change the frequency as you may be getting interference from a portable phone or microwave. You might also have to change the location of the router if possible.

#8 Tikoxi

Tikoxi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:50 AM

Funnily enough, I actually have a second router/modem that I wanted to plug in upstairs to gain better proximity. However, without the ISP *and username for that matter* It can't connect to the internet in the first place. If you could educate me as how to change the username and password with a factory reset without calling up our provider and doing it that way, you'd really save me a metric ton of time and hassle.

Also, redid the wireless network properties. It seems that for some reason the wrong code got put into the security key, so it keeps defaulting to the wrong thing. I've changed it there, and see if that is enough. Thanks for the assistance.

#9 bjbailey21

bjbailey21

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:05 AM

If the router has to login to the ISP then you will need that info. You could swap the routers out and see if your router "just logs in" to the ISP... if it does then you probably do not need any special info from the ISP but you may still have something broadcasting on the same channel.

#10 Tikoxi

Tikoxi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:25 PM

well the old one does it automatically, but the new one needs the details before it'll connect.

Oh well, it matters not. i'm going down to university soon, so it's no biggy. Thanks for the help

#11 newbee5161

newbee5161

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 27 November 2015 - 12:20 AM

Just incase you have not fixed this! I have just read on another site that if you have a program like NETGEAR running every time you boot up.  1, click on start 2,type msconfig in the search box 3, hit enter 4 go to startup and unclick any program that is running software for your net wireless card "DON'T FORGET TO SAVE SAVE SAVE" AND PAY ATTENTION TO THE PROMPTS  You will get one more prompt after you reboot!!!

Below is the post I had found, I think mine is easier to follow. I'll let you know tomorrow if it worked for me!!!!!!!!!!!!

msconfig (start > run (or just type into the "Search programs and files" field above the windows orb) > msconfig)

this brings up the System Configuration dialog box
click the Startup tab
scroll to find your wifi adapter's startup program (in my case it was NETGEAR)
uncheck the box next to this startup item

restart your computer. problem solved.

Edited by newbee5161, 27 November 2015 - 12:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users