Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nasty mystery virus. Please help me to identify and remove

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JackLaine

JackLaine

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:57 AM

Hi,

My computer knowledge is pretty basic, but I came across this site and have been really impressed with the amount of information and help available here.

I am posting this message after spending hours trying to remove a virus. I'm hoping someone has an idea what it is and can suggest how I can get rid of it.

Hardware
I have an Acer laptop which runs on Vista Home 32-bit.

General description of the problem.
The virus affects my Firefox browser first of all. I have the lastest version of the browser. It then spreads and starts to affect Windows.

How it appears and affects the computer.
Virus usually appears first of all by making Firefox stall. A small grey circle appears under the tip of the cursor as I move it around Firefox. There's a black spiral at the centre of the grey circle. Firefox starts to freeze and stops responding when I try to shut it down.

At this point Windows task bar (at bottom of page) disappears and so do the icons and everything on the desktop - but Firefox stays there just frozen.

Soon aftter this it causes Windows to stop working and the whole computer stops responding. I normally force a shutdown at that point. It restarts well enough and can run fine for days at a time and then it comes back randomly.

I think I got infected when my Avast anti-virus expired. I haven't been able to take a screen grab of the problem as virus renders laptop unusable when it appears.

I have so far run a number of programs to try to remove it, including Malwarebytes, Kingsoft anti-virus, Avast Pro (which I subscribe to), SuperAntiSpyware and Windows Defender and I've run a scan using Hitman Pro. None of them have picked up the problem.

I'd be very grateful for any help or advice you can give.

Many thanks,

Jack.

Edited by JackLaine, 24 August 2012 - 05:03 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:43 PM

Welcome aboard Posted Image

Uninstall Firefox completely using this guide: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_Firefox

Install fresh copy and see how it goes.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 JackLaine

JackLaine
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:31 AM

Thanks very much. I'll do that. Michael.

#4 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 28 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

Let me know...

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users