Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Attempting to Update Image for WDS

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Serenity772

Serenity772

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 AM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:20 PM

I work at a Support Desk for the school I attend. We have new faculty members starting and need to provide them with machines. The problem is, the images we have are quite outdated. Instead of imaging the machines and spending two days doing updates and installing software, we wanted to make a new image of the machine after it's been fully updated. I've spent this last week getting this machine fully updated with all of the software the faculty members will need, only to watch it disappear after using sysprep.

I used the setupmgr and created the answer file, but I don't know the product key. I set it not to do fully automatic, and left the product key blank thinking it would use the one attached to the computer. Then I ran sysprep and clicked factory, waited for the reboot, and then clicked reseal. The image worked and was uploaded to our WDS but when the machine started up, it asked for a product key.

The images we already have were set up by the previous support group, and they do not ask for a product key after imaging them, and already have our admin user made. Basically I need to recreate what they did after updating everything.

Is there anyway to make this possible?

The machine I'm trying to image is a Dell Optiplex GX520.
The operating system is Windows XP SP3.

Edited by hamluis, 24 August 2012 - 12:08 PM.
Moved from XP to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:05 AM

How many systems are you talking about?

I'm not very smart...and I really don't see how imaging one system...would apply to dissimilar systems component-wise. The drivers and settings will vary for sure. The version of Windows may be a variable...unless you have a volume license, applicable licenses would also seem to be a factor to be considered.

In any case...if you answer my question, I can hopefully get your questions in the right place, to the proper personnel for answers :).

In your world...does WDS mean wireless distribution system?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 August 2012 - 08:07 AM.

#3 Serenity772

Serenity772
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:26 AM

How many systems are you talking about?

I'm not very smart...and I really don't see how imaging one system...would apply to dissimilar systems component-wise. The drivers and settings will vary for sure. The version of Windows may be a variable...unless you have a volume license, applicable licenses would also seem to be a factor to be considered.

In any case...if you answer my question, I can hopefully get your questions in the right place, to the proper personnel for answers :).

In your world...does WDS mean wireless distribution system?

Louis

I am only trying to build the image off one machine, but I need five for the new hires. Which is why I would like to get this image working. I'm also not trying to use one image for dissimlar systems. I'm imaging the GX520 for use with the other GX520s we have. The base image I'm starting with is XP and these machines could not handle Windows 7, so the operating system is not variable. However, I don't think it's a volume license, but rather the key being used on the system is the key that is used with the Dell OS Install disk. If you're referring to software licenses, its mainly little things like Citrix, IE8, fully updating Java, reader, flash, and shockwave player. The only major software is Office and the base image already has it installed with our license.

WDS is Windows Deployment Services.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 AM

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

Thanks, based on what you have stated...I will move this to BC's networking forum.

I don't know how much research you have done...but you may want to look at some of the links/tutorials on Windows Deployment Services.

Google Links

Louis

#5 Serenity772

Serenity772
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:37 AM

Thank you for the link, however I don't believe you understand my problem. WDS is working properly on our server. We use it to image machines all the time. I'm trying to update an image. Basically, I'm imaging my GX520, updating everything, and then making an image based off that. That last part is where I'm having problems. I know how to upload it to the WDS, and have been able to successfully, the problem is that after using my updated image on a machine, it asks for a product key, or wants me to set up a user.

I know I need to use sysprep to prepare the image, however I have not used it and do not understand the commands very well. I have followed several different sources, which all ended up with the image either asking for the product key, or just providing a clean install of Windows. I need to know what commands to use with sysprep so that:

I am not asked for a product key
All of the updates and software I installed is present
Our Administrator member is already created with our password.

That is how the current image is set up, but again, it is horrible outdated (about two years).
I apologize if I was unclear in my original post with what I needed help with.

#6 Serenity772

Serenity772
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

I figured out how to make sysprep do what I wanted. I couldn't find a way to make it reuse the same key that XP was already using, so instead I downloaded Magical Jellybean Key Finder. I also downloaded the deploy.cab file for XP SP3. I used Jellybean to find the key for the system I was making the image out of, and saved it to a notepad on another computer.

I updated all the software I needed on the computer, cleaned out the cache, and did a bit of system maintenance. Then I made a folder named sysprep in the C: directory. I extracted all the files in the deploy.cab into this folder. Then I ran the Setup Manager making a .inf file and made it fully automated. I answered all the questions, and used the key I had extracted earlier. After completion, I ran sysprep and selected run mini-setup, shut down, and clicked reseal, which started the process.

After my computer shut down I turned it back on, booted to the network and made an image of the machine which was then uploaded to my WDS server. The image works exactly as I needed it to. It has our admin user already made with the default password, all programs are updated, and the image is fully automatic, it doesn't need any user input until it is time to log in.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 AM

Posted 30 August 2012 - 11:21 AM

Nice work, thanks for posting you solution. I have been reading about WDS and looking through how Dell loads their computers from the factory. So far its still confusing

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users