Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Older Cd-rom Will Not Start

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 perplexed22

perplexed22

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:45 PM

My 1998 CD-Rom won't work in my new computer. I put it in and all it does is make some noises as if it is pretending to attempt to work, but nothing happens. I looked in "My Computer" under the disk drive and it isn't even in there.. I know I put in the disk right, but why won't this work? Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:10 PM

My 1998 CD-Rom won't work in my new computer. I put it in and all it does is make some noises as if it is pretending to attempt to work, but nothing happens. I looked in "My Computer" under the disk drive and it isn't even in there.. I know I put in the disk right, but why won't this work? Thanks for any help.

Is it the disc that's not there, or the actual drive itself that's not there?

Not to point out the obvious, but have you tried cleaning the CD? Dust, dirt, scratches and "gunk" in general will prevent a drive from reading a CD. If it is severely scratched, then try cleaning it with one of those "CD repair kits" that's supposed to repair a scratched CD.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:05 PM

One thing popped out to me about that, "1998".

Could also just be that the old cd-rom is old and wont work anymore. That was the case with my eight year old DVD rom that came with the old computer we had. I tried putting it in our newer computer and it wouldn't work. However, something would show up in 'my computer' just it wouldn't actually start loading the cd/dvd at all. If the problem isn't just that your cd isn't clean or scratched, I'd imagine you'd have to get a new cd-rom. Which isn't that big of a deal considering that they're not that expensive, can range from like $15-30.

#4 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 22 March 2006 - 10:33 PM

CD-Roms are cheap now have you thought about upgrading? You can get yourself a nice DVD-Writer for 50$ brand new and if you like ebay... well you know what I mean...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users