Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't open DVD Tray

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ddibowski

ddibowski

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 AM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:26 PM

I have a five yearr old Dell Inspiron 530 running Windows Vista SP2. I have an HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H31N ATA Device. I can't get the door to open either by pressing the button on the tower or clicking Eject by right clicking the drive in Windows Explorer.

About two months ago I had trouble with this drive that it would not recognize a blank cd. It would recogognize a previously recorded cd, just not write a new one. I fixed it by uninstalling and reinstalling the drive in Device Management.

I can't recall using it since then, I may have but I don't use it often.

I tried the uninstall/reinstall tonight, along with other things I have read like installing a driver and uninstalling iTunes. But I still have the problem.

When I press the button on the tower I do see the green light come on for a few seconds. The green light does not come on when I click Eject in Windows Explorer. I can open the drive with a straight paper clip.

Any ideas what I might try?

Thanks
Don

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:50 AM

I have also experienced those kind of problem regarding frequently used optical drives as the mechanical eject has to be opened from the small clip hole. It behaves the same way and grown tired of fixing two of them atleast. So I just bought new ones and make sure they are well used this time.

Tekken

#3 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:42 AM

Thnaks for your reply.

I should have mentioned, when I do get a cd in the drive, it is not being recognized.

Don

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:18 AM

Like jhayz...I just replace optical drives when mechanical problems become apparent. Life is too short to fool around with an item that may be a nuisance again in the future...at a crucial point...when the cost of replacing is minimal (IMO).

5 years out of an optical drive is good mileage in my world :).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 24 August 2012 - 08:19 AM.

#5 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:06 AM

Yes I hear what you are saying. But I wanted to make sure it was not some setting or installed software that was interferring with its correct operation. And that it couldn't be fixed as easy the previous time where an uninstall followed by a scan for new hardware fixed the problem.

I also wanted to get a feeling for, along this same line, that a new drive would not have the same problem as I am having now.

I'll start shopping for a new drive but if you have any other ideas let me know.

Thanks
Don

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:27 PM

Well...you can always try MS Fixit, Optical Drives - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116 .

Louis

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:29 PM

Yes I hear what you are saying. But I wanted to make sure it was not some setting or installed software that was interferring with its correct operation. And that it couldn't be fixed as easy the previous time where an uninstall followed by a scan for new hardware fixed the problem.

I also wanted to get a feeling for, along this same line, that a new drive would not have the same problem as I am having now.

I'll start shopping for a new drive but if you have any other ideas let me know.

Thanks
Don

1. To check and be sure it is a mechanical problem with the drawer not opening, Just turn on the computer and when the makers logo appears go into the bios screen. F1, f2, f10, Del key etc. Depends on the maker. If the drawer still doesn't open then for sure it is a mechanical problem. Replace the drive. By going into the Bios you have taken software out of the equation.

If the drawer opens and closes fine before windows starts then it is a software problem.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 ddibowski

ddibowski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 162 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:52 AM

Back in May when I was having trouble I saw that MS KB article about the low and upper filters. In an attempt to fix my problem then I deleted them. I came across the article again when I was looking for a solution to my current problem, but those entries are not in the register now.

If I understand correctly I was to display my BIOS screen and push the button on the tower to see if the drawer would open. I did that. The green light came on but the door remained closed.

So ok I am convinced I need a new drive. Any advice on brands to go for or stay away from?

Thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate it

Don

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 AM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:32 AM

And yes if you were in the BIOS and the tray didn't open at the open button press, case closed, bad drive.

For DVD burners I use LiteOn, for BluRay burners I use a Pioneer, I had a LG, no good, The Liteon BluRay burner is OK but the Pioneer is better.

By Better I mean not picky about blank media.

I also use imgburn for all my disc burning for what that's worth. It just works. Be sure not to install the toolbar when installing it.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 11:03 AM

For a burner...I don't worry about vendor, I just get the cheapest and it's worked out for many a year (since the introduction of burners). They all seem to do what I want them to do for at least the warranty period...and replacement cost is not prohibitive by my standards, so I don't spend a lot of time imagining "better/worse" when it comes to such.

FWIW: The upper/lower filter registry edit...is incorporated into the MS FixIt I previously linked you to.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users