Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrading graphics...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:19 PM

I am thinking about upgrading the graphics in my computer. I'm not entirely sure quite yet.
I'm uncertain for a few reasons... one of course is money... the other is power. Most of the specs of my computer are in my profile... windows 7, dell inspiron 560, bought a year and a half ago. 300W power supply.
I have 3 slots open... on the MB it says PCI-E Gen. 2 2 of those are TINY little slots, pci-e 1. The other is LONG and if I remember correctly says 16 instead of 1.

So... my thoughts/questions...
I do not want to get a new power supply... and I do not want to spend a lot of money. I am not looking for anything top of the line... just better than the on-board graphics... when I open the games folder there's a rating for the computers performance... it's 3.4 and that's because of the graphics.
I play games on facebook and I play second life. Second life is likely the only thing that is important to consider for a graphics card as I do believe not all graphics cards work well with it. As it is, second life runs okay...
I feel like I had more thoughts or questions... hmmm...

I can think of one more thing that may or may not be related to all this... FLASH. Shockwave flash... It's necessary for the dumb facebook games I play. My question about it is...
Would computer hardware have any impact on how flash functions?
A while back shockwave flash updated to 11.3. I tried it, had a LOT of trouble with a few facebook games... a LOT of trouble. So, googled... saw a lot of other people had trouble... uninstalled and reverted to an older version that did NOT have it's own plugin container... things worked fairly well. Today I updated as they have 11.4 now and I thought maybe it would work better. Again, it has it's own plugin container... actually, there's two instances of it in task manager right now. And again, games on facebook are giving me a little trouble. I haven't tried them all but one I did try was Definitely slower than 11.2. So even though that sounds like a separate question/issue, I'm mentioning it here as I'm wondering if hardware has any impact on such things. I like to keep software up to date and all but it sure would be nice if the newer versions of things didn't cause MORE problems.

Any thoughts on all of this? Should I go ahead and look at a graphics card? Can I get one cheap that will work with Second Life AND not require a new power supply? Should I just get by with what I have now? Any thoughts at all?
As always... any thoughts/help is very much appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:23 AM

Flash and Facebook games don't need a graphics card. I suppose it would Second Life would be smoother with a graphics card like this which the power supply in your system would be able to handle.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users