Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hacking into my computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sunnyatt

Sunnyatt

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:18 PM

I had a problem with my cable and called the cable company. A nice young man helped me to resolve the problem and during the conversation I mentioned that I was not tech savy and was having trouble downloading Adobe Flashplayer 11.3. He offered to help so when he got off from work we got together on Skype and I allowed him complete control of my computer. He was able to down load it (I was grateful) and then we stayed on line for another 3 hours installing new spyware and cleaning up old files. The problem: now I'm thinking...did I do the right thing? Could he have done something to enable future access to my computer and passwords? I am elderly and not too tech savy so I really don't know if I did the wrong thing and if so what do I do now?

Edited by Sunnyatt, 23 August 2012 - 08:29 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:35 AM

My approach...the worst thing that can happen to a system I own...is overcome by doing a clean install of Windows.

<<...really don't know if I did the wrong thing and if so what do I do now...>>

I would not worry about it.

You received assistance, you know where the young man works...essentially, there is no reason that you mention to be paranoid about what has already transpired with positive results.

Where there is no smoke...don't look for a fire...that's the way that I would approach it.

Novice users are totally at the mercy...of anyone who knows more than they do...when encountering situations that are new or seemingly difficult. That's one of the basic premises of this forum :).

IMO, computing is one of the few/only ventures in life...where benevolence is encountered more often than malevolence (we do have those misanthropic types who develop malware of all sorts).

Only you can decide if you did the right/wrong thing...and then ask yourself just what you want to do about it, if anything.

Me...I don't mind asking strangers for assistance about those many things which are beyond my grasp/understanding/interest...and I'm grateful when they respond :).

Louis

#3 Sunnyatt

Sunnyatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

Thanks so much for your quick response. I can breath again (lol). It wasn't until a couple of days after when the "what if's" got the better of me. I've got so much stored on my computer. You can't imagine the anguish I've been through just thinking about it. Thanks again!!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:24 PM

If you develop problems...just post back and we'll try to get to the root of same.

Happy computing :).

Louis

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:46 PM

If you have so much stored on your computer, then I hope you have it backed up. Many of the brand name external hard drives come with software to help you backup your computer.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 Sunnyatt

Sunnyatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:38 AM

Thanks Roger,

I did do a back up about a year ago (someone suggested it). I have the external hard drive and am now wondering if I should do it again. How often do you usually back up yours? Do I have to buy another hard drive (is there space on the old one and how do you tell?) Can you just down load the new data or do I have to buy a new external hard drive and start over.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:58 AM

Hi, I like to have more than one backup. In your case two backup devices that you rotate using for backups. I suggest backing up for a home user whenever you have accumulated new files, Pictures, Music, video, documents, that you would hate to lose.

For example If You take pictures you would hate to lose with a digital camera. Then load them into the computer, back them up and then erase the camera card if you feel like you need to reuse it. Personally for very important pictures I would also leave them on the memory card and just buy a new card.

To me important would be wedding pictures, bar Mitzvah or First Communion pictures and so on. Not vacation snapshots. Only you know what is important to you. Also after making a backup check to see if everything is there.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 25 August 2012 - 09:58 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users