Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Buffalo External Hard Drive HD-HS500U2

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ifindsikeeps

ifindsikeeps

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:39 PM

computer: Dell Dimension 1100. MS Windows XP Home SP3 Intel Celeron CPU 2.53GHz, 1.2GB RAM. External Hard Drive Buffallo HD-HS500U2.

I have just stumbled into a problem with my hard drive that i hadnt realized since ive had it. All I usually do is store things into the hard drive and ive rarely had any problems. That has changed today when i went to retrieve several files FROM the external hard drive and it froze. This has caught me by surprise. All ive ever done wast COPY TO the hard drive, hardly FROM it.

Not really sure whats causing it. Its doing it on my PC and Laptop. Ive tried another USB cable and it still does it.

To make sure it wasnt a disk problem or bad sector or something, i did a little test. I moved a 500MB file from my internal harddrive into the Buffalo harddrive and it worked without any problems at all. no pauses or glitches. As soon as it was finished i tried moving the 500MB file back into my internal hard drive and the speed started slow then came to a halt and went stop go and stop.

So long story short, i have no problems at all moving things into the hard drive. getting them out though is another story. epic fail... too bad it was almost full before i realized the problem.

All help is welcomed. Thanks in advanced.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:32 PM

Hi

Here are a couple of other things to try and narrow down the issue.

Copy a video or song to the Buffalo and try to play it. Does it play smoothly?

Make a new folder on the Buffalo and copy a large file/files from another folder on the Buffalo to the new one you made. Is that slow also?

James

#3 ifindsikeeps

ifindsikeeps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

Hi

Here are a couple of other things to try and narrow down the issue.

Copy a video or song to the Buffalo and try to play it. Does it play smoothly?

Make a new folder on the Buffalo and copy a large file/files from another folder on the Buffalo to the new one you made. Is that slow also?

James

thanks for the quick reply.

1) the video i copied into buffalo played perfectly and smoothly for the the two minutes i had it on. the light indicator on the buffalo, doesnt stay fully red while its playing. it just flashes intermittently.

2) when i copied files within buffalo to a new folder in buffalo, it was slow also. it didnt get any higher than 15Mb/s and was very jittery (it even got stuck for 10-15 seconds), while from my PC to buffalo i get around 24MB/s(smoothly & continuously).

Hopefully that helps narrow things down. thanks again.

#4 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:32 PM

Yeah, that helps some.

I remember hearing a problem like this a few years ago where video played but copying files from the drive or to another folder on the drive exhibited slowness.

I think it had to do with it using USB 1.0 instead of USB 2.0 but I can't remember for sure.

I'll look into this further and see if I can find what I saw before and see what the solution was.

If anyone else knows this one, please jump in and join the party :)

James

#5 ifindsikeeps

ifindsikeeps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:43 AM

thanks. i do hope you find that solution. and if anyone else has an idea... im all ears. thanks guys.

#6 ifindsikeeps

ifindsikeeps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:31 AM

i did some troubleshooting and it seems to be improving my situation. I made an adjustment and switched the setting of the drive from being optimized for performance to the easy removal setting. Its ironic, but this has vastly improved my situation. I'm getting speeds of up to 30mb/s. although I still get abrupt stops, it picks up speed again much quicker than last time. I'm slowly moving files out of it while I have it working but it's weird that it improved when I disabled the performance setting. Any ideas why?

#7 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:59 AM

I'm not familiar with there setting. Where do you go to set it?

James

EDIT: Oh, that is Windows write caching. Yeah, that would slow things down on some computers especially on copying to a different folder on the same drive. I have never used it as there is a risk of data loss when used with external drives.
How much RAM is in the computer?

Edited by James Litten, 24 August 2012 - 11:15 AM.

#8 ifindsikeeps

ifindsikeeps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:49 PM

Hi. I have 1.2gb it's an old computer but it handles my other external drives very well. This one just gives me trouble.

#9 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:55 PM

I looked around a bit and found a few others with the same or similar problems with that drive. No solutions though :(

I would suspect the problem involves the USB to SATA bridge in the enclosure. The only test I can think of is to pull the drive out and hook it up to a computer directly or use a different USB to SATA bridge (or a different enclosure). THIS MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY.

James

#10 ifindsikeeps

ifindsikeeps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:10 PM

Thanks James. I may just have to install it into a new enclosure. Screw the warranty. Lol. Thanks for your help.

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:14 PM

Maybe you just need to defragged or format the external drive after backing up all your files.

Tekken

#12 James Litten

James Litten

Ԁǝǝ˥q

• BC Advisor
  • 1,946 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:18 PM

Jhayz has a good idea there, if you have at least 15% free space on it, you should be able to try defragging it and see if that helps.

James

#13 ifindsikeeps

ifindsikeeps
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:53 PM

i actually dont have 15% free, but as i go along with my file transfers... when i hit that percentage, i'll try to fragment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users