Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thunderbird does not start and keeps crashing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 maxbeer

maxbeer

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:09 PM

Hello,

I try posting my problem in this section, but it could actually be an OS or infection problem, so if you think I should move this post elsewere plaese tell me.

I have used Thundebird since years (and Netscape mail before that!) never experiencing problems. A while ago, TH crashed with the following message:
"Thunderbird ha riscontrato un problema inatteso e si chiuso" (in english it would be "Thunderbird encountered an unexpected problem and crashed").
I could not make TH work again since then!
I restarted TH, but it crashed without even starting,
I restarted Windows, ditto.
Then I made a backup of my TH profile (including 14 years of messages!), uninstalled TH, cancelled all its folders, downloaded the latest TH version (14) and installed it. Same problem: immediate crash!
(actually I tried the uninstall-reinstall meany times..)

Then I tried another way: I restored Windows to an old backup of a few days before... and this time TH started OK! I restored the profile in order to include the recent messages, still worked OK. But then next time I shut down and restarted the OS... again TH did not start and crashed immediately.
This keeps happening all the times: when I restore an old Windows backup, TH works again; but then no matter if I leave TH as it is, or restore the most recent messages, or even if after the restore I uninstall a reinstall a "clean" TH: it keeps working OK, but the next time I shut-down and restart Windows... TH again crashes immediately.

Then I gave up and decided to try Mozilla SeaMonkey, which should be similar to TH.
I installed it... and it crashes immediately, just like TH!

It looks like there is "something" in my system that hates TH (and SeaMonkey!) and always wakes up at boot, ready to kill them. I suspect that the fact that TH works when I restore an old system backup could be because the OS boots in a different way...?

My OS is Windows Vista Home Premium. If you need other informations please ask.

Hel would be greatly appreciated! Otherwise I am thinking about swiotching to Outlook.. in that case I will have to figure out how to import all TH messages.

Thanks, ciao
Massimo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Roby65

Roby65

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:50 AM

Ciao Massimo,

same problem here, trying now with a Full Scan in MalwareBytes, let's see if this fixes the problem.

Roberto

EDIT:
Yes, it was a virus and MB fixed it

Edited by Roby65, 24 August 2012 - 10:45 AM.

#3 maxbeer

maxbeer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 07:24 AM

Ciao Massimo,

same problem here, trying now with a Full Scan in MalwareBytes, let's see if this fixes the problem.

Roberto

EDIT:
Yes, it was a virus and MB fixed it

It worked also for me, thanks for the suggestion!

ciao
massimo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users