Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Choice

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Kraken92

Kraken92

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 04:08 PM

Greetings, I am in a dilemma regarding which of two laptops to purchase. They're both Dell XPS laptops, but one is from the Dell website while the other is from a local shop (from which I attain a discount, therefore the dilemma). I will use the laptop for gaming aswell as the usual University usage. The dilemma is between the following two configurations:

Intel Core i7-2630QM (6m Cache
2.00GHz)
15.6'' HD WLED
4GB RAM DDR3
Hard Disc 640GB
GeForce GT 540M 2GB

Price (with a discount): 1170 EU

Intel Core i7-3612QM (2.10 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 3.10 GHz - 2GB Graphics Card)
15.6" FHD(1080p) True Life WLED Display
8GB7 DDR3 SDRAM
1TB SATA Hard Drive
2GB GeForce GT 640M

Price: 1650 EU

My concern is whether the extra 500 EU are worth what the laptop is offering. I've never bought a laptop before and I really don't know what I need and what is an overkill. Could someone help?

Edited by Budapest, 23 August 2012 - 05:03 PM.
Moved from System Building and Upgrading ~Budapest

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 589661

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:22 PM

The two computers are both very nice and as a collegestudent myself I know you'll be more than happy with either of the two options.Iím not sure of the value of your dollar compared with that of a US dollar so Idonít really have a complete understanding of how much of a difference in pricethere really is.

I however would spend more to get the extra RAM and hard drive space. I havehad long days and nights in college libraries and away from home, and it issuper nice to be able to load your laptop full of movies to occupy your time ina pinch (usually waiting on friends to get to the library because collegestudents are never on time lol)

The fact that it is Full HD is another plus. The better the resolution the lessstrain on your eyes, well at least thatís what doctors I know say.
They both have a 2GB video card which is really good, but the more expensiveone has the Turbo Boost which makes it out preform the other computer two fold.
If you can afford the one with better specs then I would recommend it. When youbuy, donít just buy for current needs, buy for what you may need in the future.

#3 Kraken92

Kraken92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:41 PM

The two computers are both very nice and as a collegestudent myself I know you'll be more than happy with either of the two options.Iím not sure of the value of your dollar compared with that of a US dollar so Idonít really have a complete understanding of how much of a difference in pricethere really is.

I however would spend more to get the extra RAM and hard drive space. I havehad long days and nights in college libraries and away from home, and it issuper nice to be able to load your laptop full of movies to occupy your time ina pinch (usually waiting on friends to get to the library because collegestudents are never on time lol)

The fact that it is Full HD is another plus. The better the resolution the lessstrain on your eyes, well at least thatís what doctors I know say.
They both have a 2GB video card which is really good, but the more expensiveone has the Turbo Boost which makes it out preform the other computer two fold.
If you can afford the one with better specs then I would recommend it. When youbuy, donít just buy for current needs, buy for what you may need in the future.

Just a clarification, those prices are in Euros. It's about a 600 dollar difference, which is a bit steep and that's why I'm not very sure it's worth it. Thanks for your response :)

#4 589661

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:16 PM

For 600 dollars i would say buy the cheaper one. It has everything you will need to make it through the rest of your schooling.

But why did you chose this computer. I am looking online for something similar but less expensive. I found the HP envy 15 with 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 7690M, Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.20GHz, but only a 1GB Video Card. It does have 6MB L3 Cache Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.10GHz.

15.6" Screen, 1920 x 1080 Resolution, HDMI, Beats Audio, Memory Card Reader, and a 9-hour battery life
All for 1,079.99 US Dollars.

This is cheaper than both dells has better specs minus the 1GB Video Card.

I dont know if i am allowed to post a link to it because i know im not allowed to advertise and i am trying to follow the rules to the T because i want to be a part of the malware training program. Maybe i can message it to you?

Mod Edit: Posting links that are pertinent...is never a problem in the O/S and/or hardware forums :) - Hamluis. If you look, you'll see that most of usI tend to post links featuring alternatives...in this and the System Building forum - Hamluis.

Edited by hamluis, 24 August 2012 - 01:20 PM.
Edit - Hamluis.

#5 Kraken92

Kraken92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:06 PM

For 600 dollars i would say buy the cheaper one. It has everything you will need to make it through the rest of your schooling.

But why did you chose this computer. I am looking online for something similar but less expensive. I found the HP envy 15 with 8GB RAM, 750GB HDD, AMD Radeon HD 7690M, Intel Core i7-2670QM 2.20GHz, but only a 1GB Video Card. It does have 6MB L3 Cache Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.10GHz.

15.6" Screen, 1920 x 1080 Resolution, HDMI, Beats Audio, Memory Card Reader, and a 9-hour battery life
All for 1,079.99 US Dollars.

This is cheaper than both dells has better specs minus the 1GB Video Card.

I dont know if i am allowed to post a link to it because i know im not allowed to advertise and i am trying to follow the rules to the T because i want to be a part of the malware training program. Maybe i can message it to you?

Sure you can, but it's just a matter of going for Dell as I've only bought Dell computers and they've never failed me. But sure message it to me and I will check it out!

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:31 AM

It would depend on the games you plan to play.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

#7 Kraken92

Kraken92
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:16 AM

It would depend on the games you plan to play.

Total war games and WoW mainly.

#8 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:50 AM

Then i'd suppose the 540M would do fine for those games.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users