Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updated drivers, no sound does not work properly

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 kbphoto

kbphoto

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:33 PM

I updated my audio drivers as per windows update because I noticed I had some new updates. Well now my speakers are not as loud as they used to be. I really don't know a way to describe this other then that, they just do not sound like they used to. They sound like they are not reaching their maximum volume, even though the volume ( master and others ) are all the way up, maxed out. Also, my Dell and the Audio drivers come with an IDT control panel, I do not know how to set up the IDT control panel for best playback, and I do not know how to fix this issue. I am on a Dell XPS 1645 using Windows 7 Pro, any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 AM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:13 PM

The problem is that Windows update is not the best way to update drivers. Quite often the windows update drivers for hardware cause problems.

Try this. Right click on Computer then properties. Now on the left hand side choose Device manager. Find Sound Video and Game controllers, expand it by double clicking on it. Find the IDT sound card, right click on it. Choose properties, then Driver. select Roll Back Driver

or go to http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection
Enter your service tag from the bottom of the laptop in the Service tag box. Click Submit. The choose the Operating System and the IDT audio drivers, Download them and install them.

Either one should work.

Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 kbphoto

kbphoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:54 PM

The problem is that Windows update is not the best way to update drivers. Quite often the windows update drivers for hardware cause problems.

Try this. Right click on Computer then properties. Now on the left hand side choose Device manager. Find Sound Video and Game controllers, expand it by double clicking on it. Find the IDT sound card, right click on it. Choose properties, then Driver. select Roll Back Driver

or go to http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection
Enter your service tag from the bottom of the laptop in the Service tag box. Click Submit. The choose the Operating System and the IDT audio drivers, Download them and install them.

Either one should work.

Roger

Hey there,

Thanks for the reply. I actually already tried that. I believe I now have the correct drivers installed. But the speaker issue is still happening. I believe it's something in the way they are configured, but I do not know how to configure them properly. I am getting next to no help from Dell as I am out of warranty.

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:09 PM

I'm afraid that is all the help I can be. I was hoping it would be that simple a cure. Hopefully someone with an IDT sound card can help out further.

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 kbphoto

kbphoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 10:43 PM

I'm afraid that is all the help I can be. I was hoping it would be that simple a cure. Hopefully someone with an IDT sound card can help out further.

Roger

I appreciate the help none the less. Hopefully someone else can help! Thanks. :)

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 24 August 2012 - 12:29 AM

Posted Image
Have you tried checking SRS Premium Sound for the laptop in your control panel?

Tekken

#7 kbphoto

kbphoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:10 AM

Posted Image
Have you tried checking SRS Premium Sound for the laptop in your control panel?

I have! It actually sounds worse when SRS is enabled. So I have it disabled. I thought if I enabled it and played around with the Eqaulizer that I could get it right, but it still sounds.. muffled. I really don't know how else to explain the issue. haha I feel dumb for not having a more descriptive way to describe the issue.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 01:21 AM

Well, that was the only option left for enhancing sounds for these laptops when running the built-in speakers. I usually use default since I use external speakers and VLC/Winamp media player for playing audio and video files which have audio features and settings. Regarding the Windows update, is it actually a windows update or from Dell as the OEM? I usually have experienced this updates from my Sony Vaio laptop which comes with a Sony Vaio update utility. Surely this is similar with Dells. The Microsoft windows updates are different from these OEM harwdare patch or updates to fix certain incompatibilities.

Tekken

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

One very last suggestion, Uninstall the sound card through Programs and Features in the control panel. Restart, make sure it is showing as needing a driver in Device manager. If not uninstall there too.
Reboot, check again and then when it shows as not working install the Dell Driver.

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 24 August 2012 - 10:28 AM.
Grammar & Spelling

167 @ June 2015

#10 kbphoto

kbphoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

Ok, here is where I am at now. I have finally gotten the Dell IDT driver completely uninstalled, and when I restarted my computer Windows found and installed it's own generic audio driver. With this installed, before installing IDT, the volume is where it should be. I am almost tempted to keep it on the generic windows driver, except for one things. I cannot use the IDT control panel anymore if I do not install it. Is there an alternative to the IDT control panel, that I can use to adjust the settings of the sound? Such as the built in equalizer or SRS premium in the IDT control panel?

#11 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:47 PM

I doubt it.

Sorry

167 @ June 2015

#12 kbphoto

kbphoto
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

I doubt it.

Sorry

I can't install a 3rd party equalizer to help adjust the sound on my laptop? I mean, not even IDT, just anything at this point, besides the generic Windows Controls. I understand it is driver related, but there's got to be something. haha

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 02:35 PM

For what its worth, the media player I use VLC has an equalizer and can also adjust the video. I play pretty much anything with it in the sound or Video file types. It even plays my HD captures OK. ON My I7 of course. Scroll wheel controls volume or if on the timeline, movement forwards or backwards.

Maybe this would help you with your needs, there are other players here

Posted Image

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 28 August 2012 - 02:35 PM.

167 @ June 2015

#14 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:43 PM

I don't also rely much on laptop's speakers when it comes to adjusting my preferred audio outputs. There may also be a chance that your built-in speakers are the problem.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users