Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 night0wl

night0wl

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:07 PM

Hi, I hope someone can help me slove my problem. I'm trying to sort out a very slow running computer for my mother-inlaw. It is running XP home.
The computer takes an age to boot up and then runs very, very slow. This mostly seems due to two programs, SVCHOST.EXE and LSASS.EXE, that are using almost 100% of the CPU between them. If I use cntl alt del and kill SVCHOST.EXE both stop and CPU usage drops to just a few % and the computer runs a lot better but not as well as it should. Ive used Process Explorer to look at what SVCHOST.EXE and LSASS.EXE are doing and find that each has one dll that is using up the CPU. In the case of SVCHOST.EXE it is termsrv.dll+0xd196 and LSASS.EXE has RPCRT4.dll+0x15dd. As with ending SVCHOST.EXE, killing either dll returns the CPU usage to normal.
I have run spybot, ad-aware and McAfee anti-virus but none of them have found what is causing this problem...HELP!!

I also posted a HijackThis log and have been advised by OLDTIMER that every thing is clean. Hesuggested a post here might help get to the bottom of the problem.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 03:04 PM

Hi nightOwl,

Take a look here: Slow Computer guide

Bypass the top - malware section, and continue with the rest of the posting.

Good luck,

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. – Will Smith

#3 night0wl

night0wl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:08 PM

Thanks for that suggestion, but I've done about 99% of what was in the Slow Computer quide and still have the problem with SVCHOST.EXE & LSASS.EXE hogging almost 100% of the CPU usage. This seems to be the main symptom of the problem.

Night0wl.

#4 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 07:34 PM

Hi nightOwl,

Let me do some research and touch base with OldTimer. I am also going to look at your HJT log and see what you have running. Is there any cause and effect item we should be looking at? Has anything changed? Did you notice the slowdown after downloading anything?

Give some info on your computer too please... amount of memory, processor, and avalible hard drive space.

Thanks

rigel

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. – Will Smith

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:19 PM

nightOwl...

Look at something for me. Open my computer and look for c:\windows\system32\termsrv.dll Use your mouse and right click the file and select properties. I need the file size and version of the file. Please do the same for C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcrt4.dll

I am starting to lean on replacing those files.

Thanks

rigel

#6 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 14 March 2006 - 08:36 PM

For what it's worth I find termsrv.dll availalbe for download at several web sites. I have not seen the other file for download, though.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#7 night0wl

night0wl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 05:38 PM

Hi rigel,

Here's the info you asked for:

Computer is a Dell Dimension 2400 with an Intel Pentium 4 2.80GHZ, 128MB RAM running XP home.

termsrv.dll version 5.1.2600.1106 size 195KB created 29th Aug 2002

rpcrt4.dll version 5.1.2600.1361 size 523KB created 5th March 2004

Not sure when the problem started as this is not my own computer, but I think it's been going on for a few months now.

night0wl

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:27 PM

Do you have the Dell restore disk?

#9 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:59 PM

Welcome back nightOwl...

Ok... here is my plan. First, you need memory. The 128MB is really minimal for running XP. I would recommend purchasing at least another 256MB - preferrably an additional 512MB. You can get memory from NewEgg.com or TigerDirect.com . Give them a call and provide your computer make/model and these guys will find the right memory for you.

The two files... The versions you have are not the versions I have. That is because my computer is updated different then yours. We could go back to the original XP files, and then do Microsoft updates. Press and hold the Windows Key (Lower left side of the keyboard between CRTL and ALT) and then press the Pause/Break key. That will open your system properties window. On that window it tells the version and service pack level of XP. Please post back with the service pack level. {In the mean time, I will do some research to make sure about the version level of those files and the best way to replace if needed}Knowing your memory is low though... I may tend to wait with the files... and update the memory first.

If you have any questions, please ask...

Please go ahead and find any disks that came with the computer.

Thanks
rigel

#10 Heyoldman

Heyoldman

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:10 PM

svghost and the other exe you mention are default programs on the computer. Your not suppose to get rid of them. They are part of the computer you can say. I dont think its a virus problem. Check your registry or just reformat the whole computer. Start from scratch. Thats always a good idea.(or do a system restore)

#11 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:02 PM

nightOwl...

You can skip the request to look at your SP (Service pack level) I looked at your HJT post and found it to be SP1. I also found the two files needed. I will post those in the morning to my webspace... a link to follow.

I still recommend a memory upgrade.

Take care and good luck

rigel

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:07 PM

And if you are certain there is no malware you need to upgrade to SP2 which while primarily a security update also addresses incompatibility issues and may address the problem you're having.

There are also several updates after SP2 which address critical security issues (patches for discovered exploits).

The computer should be set to update automatically.

#13 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2006 - 03:16 PM

Hi nightOwl...

I have the files: termsrv.dll and rpcrt4.dll zipped into a file called: files.zip

Download files.zip from my website. The direct URL is: rigels site

Download those files to your desktop, or a place you can find easily. Double click the.zip file and it will expand to termsrv.dll and rpcrt4.dll. As a precaution, find termsrv.dll and rpcrt4.dll in the c:\windows\system32 folder and rename them to termsrv.old and rpcrt4.old If anything goes wrong, rename the files back to what they were ... termsrv.dll and rpcrt4.dll ...Now, copy termsrv.dll and rpcrt4.dll (from the place you downloaded to) and place both of these files into your c:\windows\system32 folder.

Post back with any questions....

rigel

#14 night0wl

night0wl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 March 2006 - 06:34 AM

Hi Rigel,

Sorry it's taken so long to reply, but I haven't had the time to work at the computer for the last couple of weeks.
Anyway, thanks for the files, I changed the names of the existing dll files and loaded the two new ones as suggested. Sure enough that cured the very high CPU usage. Unfortunately the new files seem to have caused another problem. When the computer is started up it generates an error message, "Generic Host Process for WIN32 Services has encountered a problem and needs to close"., although it dosen't prevent anything form working as far as I can tell at present.

When I completed the above action I reconnected to the internet to updat the antivirus s/w and get all the required windows updates, but was not able to do either as nothing with Active X commands can be downloaded despite all the settings to allow these being correct. I remember this being part of the problem with the computer when I first looked at it some time back. In view of this additional bug I have decided to reinstall windows and start from scratch, at least all the original discs that came with the computer are available.

Thanks for your help so far.

Night0wl.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users