Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I switch one CD drive out for another

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jokerssmile

jokerssmile

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:57 PM

Ok here's my question I have an old dell desktop computer with a dvd drive. The current computer I am using is also old but it seems to only have two cd drives. I tried playing dvds on both the drives and the one drive marked Hewlett Packards CD-Writer takes the dvd but then a light starts flashing red on the front of it. The other drive does nothing and when I go to my computer and click on that drive it says Please insert a disk into drive D it shows no sign of reading the disk. If I put a cd in it they work fine.

My question is this, can I take one of the drives, the D drive out and swap it with the Dell drive I have? do I need something special or can I just unplug some wires and plug in the Dell drive?

if I have to give out more info please let me know.

I did a computer profile using Belarc Advisor and here's the info on the drives:

HP CD-Writer+ 9300 [Optical drive]
SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-152L [Optical drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

WDC WD400BB-00DEA0 [Hard drive] (40.02 GB) -- drive 0, rev 05.03E05, SMART Status: Healthy

This computer I am using I really dont know what brand it is, it says Micro Quest on the front. I know its an old old computer no need to point that out to me.

Edited by jokerssmile, 23 August 2012 - 12:58 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 589661

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:22 PM

It depends on the motherboard in each computer. If the Dell is using SATA disk readers then they can only be replaced with SATA disk readers unless there is a spot on the motherboard and the proper molar power adapter for an IDE or PATA Disk Reader (ribbon cable, flat and grey). If they are both the same then you should have no problem if not you can order a dvd drive pretty cheap these days. You can order it on newegg, amazon, even ebay (i tend to stay clear of ebay i dont trust it).

Let me know what you find. If you still dont understand the difference between sata (thin cable) and pata / ide (flat fat ribbon cable) then post pics of the rear of each disk player and i will help the very best i can

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

A CD-burner...cannot read DVDs.

You have two 10-year old optical drives listed...neither can read DVDs.

If all the drives use PATA connectors/cables, you can swap them endlessly...but the CD drives will never read/play DVDs. DVD drives read CDs and DVDs.

You can buy an inexpensive DVD-burner today for close to $20, examples at http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=172480 .

Louis

#4 589661

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:59 PM

Lois thats what he is saying.
The Dell has a DVD drive that he wants to switch to the HP tower.
So as long as the two drives are the same interface he can switch them with no problem.

A CD-burner...cannot read DVDs.

You have two 10-year old optical drives listed...neither can read DVDs.

If all the drives use PATA connectors/cables, you can swap them endlessly...but the CD drives will never read/play DVDs. DVD drives read CDs and DVDs.

You can buy an inexpensive DVD-burner today for close to $20, examples at http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=172480 .

Louis

#5 jokerssmile

jokerssmile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:02 PM

The cd drive has a flat gray ribbon then a 4(white plastic)prong thing with multi color wires. it also has a small wire connector too.

The dvd rom drive I want to replace it with has the same thing.

I couldn't get any good pictures because the case is pretty jam packed.

to the second poster, I'm sorry I don't think I was clear I apologize, I wanted to take the CD drive and replace it with the DVD rom drive.

(I'm a girl lol)

Edited by jokerssmile, 23 August 2012 - 02:09 PM.

#6 589661

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:15 PM

Lol sorry for the gender comfusion and adressing you as a "he" and "him".

Yes since they are both the same you shouldnt have any problems.
try swapping them and let me know how you make out.

-Scott

The cd drive has a flat gray ribbon then a 4(white plastic)prong thing with multi color wires. it also has a small wire connector too.

The dvd rom drive I want to replace it with has the same thing.

I couldn't get any good pictures because the case is pretty jam packed.

to the second poster, I'm sorry I don't think I was clear I apologize, I wanted to take the CD drive and replace it with the DVD rom drive.

(I'm a girl lol)

#7 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:47 PM

Basically there are two types of optical drives based on data connection interface - IDE/ EIDE and SATA(Serial ATA).

SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-152L uses IDE cable which is flat ribbon cable with 40 wires or 80 wire. So what you need is a DVD Writer drive with EIDE interface.

You can find the EIDE interface DVD writers at the link given by hamluis above.

Because you are using an old computer, another thing that you have to look for is the RAM requirements for the drive you want to buy.

#8 jokerssmile

jokerssmile
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

well I swapped them out and when the DVD drive was in the computer wouldn't turn on. I checked all the connections and still nothing. I'm assuming something might be wrong with the drive because I think it did this on the computer I took it from.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,378 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:13 PM

Sometimes (not always) Windows can't boot if a drive attached is dead...I've never had it happen with an optical drive, but I have seen it with hard drives.

My guess is that, in such cases, Windows just cannot get past the point where it detects all system components.

If the system boots without the drive or with a replacement...it's time to replace the optical drive or do without it.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users