Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combofix disabled HP laptop!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 HelpThisNewbie

HelpThisNewbie

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:54 AM

I read several places that combofix was the best program to scrub away the scour.com redirect virus. I followed the instructions to download combofix, close all windows, disable my usual protection, and let combofix do its thing. It went to its blue operation screen to perform 50 stages, restarted computer, back to blue screen to generate log, then produced the log on whitescreen. I still didn't touch it for a couple of hours, but then saved the log as a file. When I tried to open it, I discovered that I couldn't. In fact, I can't so much as open any text document, much less launch an internet browser: ALL operations are reported as illegal and slated for deletion!

What on earth do I do to fix this?

Please help!

p.s. I can't produce the log for you, as per problem above. I did photograph it with several shots from my phone, though. I am writing from another computer.

Edited by boopme, 23 August 2012 - 12:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 589661

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:16 PM

restart the computer. this should fix the problem

You shouldnt run combofix though unless instructed to do so by a professional.
It can damage your computer if you do not know what you are doing. There are many generous people here willing to help, but it is best if you LET them help you and only run programs when instructed to do so.

Im not trying to be mean or rude by anymeans and i dont want you to read it that way. Even i am not a professional in combofix, but am looking to become one soon.

You have come to the right place though everyone is so nice here.

#3 HelpThisNewbie

HelpThisNewbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:30 PM

Thanks so much! I will give it a try and report back. :-)

#4 589661

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:35 PM

No Problem I am glad to help. Im new here too but i feel like i should help where needed because there are so so so many posts for admins and mods to go through that if the little problems can all be helped by your fellow tech it would lift a large weight off their shoulders so they can deal with the much more time consuming and difficult problems.

#5 HelpThisNewbie

HelpThisNewbie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:41 PM

It worked! Thank you soooo much!

Scour is successfully cleared, and the computer is good as new.

#6 589661

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:49 PM

You're very welcome i am glad i could help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users