Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen upon Windows XP startup (after dropping laptop)

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#1 murru

murru

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:57 AM

Hi,

I have a Dell Latitude E6400 Laptop. Two days ago I dropped it. The first time I started it up after dropping it a blue screen appeared:

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. The problem seems to be caused by the following file: win32k.sys
Technical information:
***STOP: 0x00000050 (0xF000E2DA, 0x00000000, 0xBF890FE3, 0x00000002)
***win32k.sys – Adress BF890FE3 base at BF800000, DateStamp 4ff2f633

Unquote

I immediately turned the laptop off, and turned it back on. Windows started up correctly this time, however, the following message appeared when Windows had fully loaded:

The system has recovered from a serious error.
A log of this error has been created

Error signature
BCCode : 10000050 BCP1 : F000E2DA BCP2 : 00000000 BCP3 : BF890FE3
BCP4 : 00000002 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 3_0 Product : 256_1

Unquote

Since then the blue screen appears every time on my first startup, and the error message in windows on my second startup. Could this be related to the fact that I dropped my laptop? Is there a way to fix this issue? I would greatly appreciate any help, as I am really lost.

With kind regards,

Murru

Edited by hamluis, 23 August 2012 - 11:28 AM.
Moved from XP to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:54 PM

When the laptop is turned on and the Dell logo has appeared start pressing F12 to go to the startup devices menu.

From there choose Diagnostics. You want to check the hard drive for problems. You should also be able to the memory and the rest of the hardware.

If the laptop was running there is a chance that the hard drive was damaged, If it wasn't running there is a lower chance but still a chance.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 murru

murru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

Dear Roger,

Thanks for your help.

The laptop was not on when it was dropped. I did the diagnostic test (Pre-boot assessment Build 4116) and it came out completely clean; no issues were found with any tested hardware.

Could you tell me the next step in finding out what the problem is and/or repairing it?I would really appreciate any further assistance to solve this issue.

Regards,

Murru

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:19 PM

So you are saying the hard drive passed?

OK, do you have a XP CD? If so try and boot from it, let it start until the first screen that offers a repair option appears. Choose repair. There two repair options you want the first one. In the recovery console type chkdsk /r

Guide is located here.

Place your Windows XP Installation CD or the new Recovery Console disk you just created into your CD or DVD ROM drive, and reboot.
You should see this:

If you don't see the above, try pressing the F10 or F12 keys during boot and selecting the CDRom device from the list.
If that doesn't work, enter BIOS Setup by pressing the F1, F2, F10 or Del key during boot and modifying the
Boot Order or Boot Priority to make the CD/DVD first boot device.

In this case it appears that the other option they mention arcdc may or may not work. You can try it if you don't have an XP CD. Your computer should have come with one from dell.

Good Luck
Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#5 murru

murru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:25 AM

Dear Roger,

Thanks for your quick response. Indeed, the hard drive passed.

Since then I have been going through all my stuff to locate my Windows XP cd. I finally found it last night. Subsequently, I carefully followed the guide that you have kindly provided me. However, when I ran the CDrom, the option to start the Recovery Consol was not there; merely the option to install Windows XP. Therefore, I started the recovery consol myself, since this option is given to me with every startup of Windows (it is installed). I ran the chkdsk /r command from there, while leaving the Windows XP CDrom in my CDrom drive. My laptop seemed to perform repairs, although I donít know if this is identical from starting the Recovery from the Windows XP cd.

So far, I have booted my Laptop twice, and fortunately the blue screen has not yet appeared. However, 2 new problems occur with every startup.

(1) When Windows is loaded, the following message appears on my desktop screen:

Your battery is able to charge Normally. However, you may begin to notice reduced operating time because your long-term battery life is decreasing.
Unqoute

When I press OK, a new message appears:

DCP System Manager has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Ö
For more information about this error, click here.

Unqoute

When I press Close on this message, a third message appears:

DrWatson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
Ö
For more information about this error, click here.

Unqoute

(2) In the taskbar, a black icon appears next to the Windows Live messenger icon (see the image below):

Attached File  Untitled-1.jpg   23.74KB   2 downloads

When I right-click on it to see what it is, it says Windows Live messenger. I can start Windows Live messenger from it, just like form the true Windows Live messenger icon. If I exit it, only the true Windows Live messenger icon disappears, but not the black box icon. I have no idea how to get rid of it.

Could you please help me out with these two new issues?

Regards,

Murru

#6 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:33 AM

Hi,
1. The first message means that the battery is nearing the end of its useful life. That is coming from some of the Dell software in the laptop. If you choose not to replace it, you could see what happens with the battery out o the laptop.

2. Dell™ ControlPoint System Manager

Dell ControlPoint is a proprietary tool that combines system configuration,
connection, and security management functions into a single interface. This
book focuses on the System Manager component, which uses industry-standard
Microsoft® Windows Installer (MSI) technology to perform installations,
upgrades, modifications, and uninstallations. Features include:

If you decide you need it you will have to visit Dell and download the latest version, and try installing it. Drivers & Downloads And enter your service tag from the bottom of the laptop.

See if that clears up the Dr Watson.

On the black box, it appears that there was some damage that Chkdsk mainly fixed.

You can try rebuilding the icon cache.

Two links to read and decide from.

Rebuild icon cache to fix incorrectly displayed icons
or
Rebuild icon cache in Windows XP

Hopefully one of those will do the job.
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 24 August 2012 - 10:54 AM.

167 @ June 2015

#7 murru

murru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:00 PM

Dear Roger,

I want to sincerely thank you for all your help so far. However, you should disregard my last post, as much more urgent and disturbing events have occurred. After I performed the recovery, I started up Windows twice, and this worked without witnessing the blue screen. Next, I connected an external hard drive to my laptop, because I wanted to move some files around. While I was moving files, a large part of my external hard drive was suddenly not accessible anymore; most files were not showing up anymore. However, they have to be present on the hard drive, since the amount of available space on the hard drive has remained constant before and after this disastrous event. I have read on the internet that this is a hard drive flaw, and that it still may be possible to recover the lost files from the hard drive.

In an attempt to recover my precious data, I downloaded the Stellar Phoenix NFTS Data Recovery software. Now, while I was running the recovery on my external hard drive, my computer jumped to the same blue screen (from the initial issue) after about 30 minutes!

This is my worst nightmare, as my external hard drive contains all my important documents, and I need to be able to access them. I am relying on you for any assistance you could give me.

Regards,

Murru

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:12 PM

I'm afraid that isn't my area of expertise.

1. Do nothing with the drive, that may make it harder to impossible to recover.

You will probaly need another drive to save to during this process too. It does work just do not write anything to the drive or try any repairs.
In the mean time look at this This tutorial by AustrAlien

If your computer is not able to boot into Windows or simply not able to access the internet, you can use a LIVE Linux operating system run from a bootable CD or flashdrive instead of Windows, to access the internet, to access files on the HDD(s) and do other tasks.

:step1: Using a working computer:

• If you wish to use a LIVE CD ...
    • Download the Linux version of your choice (usually an .ISO image file).
    • There are many options to use for a LIVE CD. I suggest that you try one of the following:
    • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
    • There are two versions currently available: I suggest trying Slacko Puppy first.
  • Linux Mint 12 Lisa (versions for a CD, and larger versions that need to be burned to a DVD disk)
[*]Burn the .ISO image to CD: If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Download and install ImgBurn.
  • Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
  • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image
[*]When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.
[/list][*]OR ... if you wish to use a LIVE flashdrive ...
  • Go to UNetbootin - Homepage and Downloads and at the top of the page, click on Download (for Windows) to download the application.
  • Follow the instructions further down the page under the heading Installation & Screenshots.
  • Run the application to download and install the Linux version of choice to your flashdrive.
  • I suggest that you try one of the following:
  • Puppy Linux (smallest download file size at 128 MB)
  • Linux Mint 12 Lisa (download file size depends on version)
[/list][/list]
:step2: Boot the problematic machine from the LIVE CD or flashdrive.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the optical/CD drive or the flashdrive, which ever you are using.)
  • Choose to run the Linux operating system from the CD or flashdrive without making any changes to your computer.
    Do NOT install Linux on your hard drive.
  • When the Linux operating system loads ...
  • You will have internet access in the normal manner.
  • You will be able to navigate to all the files on your HDD.
  • You can backup your files by copying them to a flashdrive or an external hard drive.
You may find one of the following guides useful:
Recover files from Windows XP hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows Vista hard disk using Puppy Linux

Recover files from Windows 7 hard disk using Puppy Linux

The easiest way to copy files/folders in Puppy is to drag-and-drop from one window to another. To do this open a window showing what you want to copy. Open another window showing the location that you wish to copy to .... and move the windows so that you can conveniently see both at the same time.

Now, simply drag the items you wish to copy from one window into the other. Simple.

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

#9 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 25 August 2012 - 01:19 AM

Hello,

Roger has asked me to help if I can.

Re: external hard drive problem and retrieval of data from it
  • What is the situation now?
Recovery of the data is likely possible, but in the meantime it is important that you do not do anything that may jeopardise your chance of success.

Do you have another external hard drive &/or a computer internal hard drive that has sufficient free space to accomodate all the files recovered from the problematic external drive?

Do you have a working computer on which you can burn a bootable Linux CD?
AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

#10 murru

murru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:01 AM

Dear Australien,

Thanks for your help. I do have a free hard drive that can fit it all. However, this is almost 1TB of data, so the process is going to take very long. I also have the same laptop I was talking about beforehand to burn a bootable Linux CD.

Am I suppose to follow the steps above as quoted by Roger?

Regards,

Murru

#11 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:15 AM

If the data is important to you, then we need to be very careful about what we do so that we avoid risking the loss of all data completely should things go pear-shaped with that hard drive.

Since we may need other tools useful in this situation, I suggest that you create a bootable UBCD CD (instead of one of the other Linux versions) as a first step. Boot to UBCD and load PartedMagic. Then open the hard drive and have a quick browse of your files. Let me know if there is a problem reported when opening the hard drive and/or attempting to view your files. Let me know if you think some files are not being shown as present when they should be.

FIRSTLY ... Create a bootable UBCD ... CD

Please do the following on a working computer:
  • You will need a new blank writable CD.
  • Download UBCD and burn to a CD:
    Note: If you have trouble finding a download link here:
    • UBCD download page: Download UBCD
    • Look under the heading: Mirror Sites
    • Try any of those listed websites which are hosting/providing the UBCD .ISO file for downloading.
    • Click on the Posted Image icon in the left-hand-side column beside the download location of your choice for direct download of the .ISO file.
  • An example direct download link to try would be:
[*]If you do not already have a suitable burning program for writing .ISO images to disc ...
  • Download and install ImgBurn.
  • Ensure that you UN-check the box agreeing to install the Ask toolbar during the installation.
  • Place a new (blank) CD disc in the drive tray.
  • Choose Write image file to disc.
    • Under Source, click on the Browse button: Navigate to and select the .ISO file that you wish to burn.
    • Place a check-mark in the box beside Verify.
  • Click Posted Image
[*]When the CD has been burned and verified as successful, it will be bootable.
[/list]============================================

SECONDLY ... UBCD > Parted Magic > GSmartControl > Short Self-test > Save results
  • Note: The following will save the test result, along with the SMART data to a text file.
Boot the ailing computer with the UBCD CD.
  • (You may have to configure the Boot Menu or BIOS Setup Menu to boot first from the optical/CD/DVD drive.)
  • At the first menu screen, select Parted Magic and press <ENTER>.
    Use Default settings ...
    Be patient until UBCD loads and you are presented with the Desktop.
  • Click Start (bottom-left-corner button) > System Tools > Disk Health (GSmartControl)
    (... or simply double-click the Disk Health icon on the Desktop.)
  • In the GSmartControl window that appears, click on the device that represents the hard drive to select it.
  • On the top menu, click Device > View Details.
    A Device Information window for the hard drive will open.
  • Click on the Perform Tests tab along the top of the Device Information window.
  • Beside Test type, ensure that Short Self-test is displayed in the box.
  • Click on Execute (on the far right side of the window).
    The test will take around 60 seconds.
  • At the bottom of the Perform Tests page, click Save As.
    Look at the default file name and location that the file will be saved. Default location will be "root".
  • Click Save.

THIRDLY ... Post the results to BleepingComputer.com.

Establish internet connection

At the UBCD Desktop, click the 'start' button (bottom-left corner button) > Internet > Start network.
  • The Start Network Options window will open.
  • Ensure the appropriate option is selected, and click Continue ...
    The Network Utility window will open.
  • Ensure the appropriate option is selected, and click OK.
    You should now have a working internet connection.
Open Firefox and go to BleepingComputer site

At the UBCD Desktop, click the 'start' button (bottom-left corner button) > Internet > Firefox.

Attach file &/or paste text to a post
  • In your topic at the bottom of the page, click on Add Reply.
  • Under the text box, under the heading Attachments, click on "Browse" to browse for the file that you wish to attach.
    A file upload window will appear.
  • On the left-side, click on "root" to display the contents of the root directory.
  • You should see the text file there that you saved earlier. Click on it, to select it, and then click Open at the bottom-right of the window.
  • Back at the BleepingComputer.com forums window, click on Attach this file.
  • Now type a few words in the text box "text file attached" and then at the bottom click on Add Reply.
  • Note: If you are feeling confident enough to try it, you can open the text file with a text editor and paste the contents in a reply so it can be seen easily by anyone browsing the topic, if you wish. If you do this, don't forget to enclose in CODE tags to preserve the format/spacing.
  • Please enclose the pasted report in CODE tags so that the spacing/formatting is preserved (to make it easier for all to read).
  • Firstly, click on the "Insert code snippet" button Posted Image
  • You will then see the "start" and "end" code tags (highlighted in dark blue/selected in the image) in the text box.
  • Click between the two tags to insert the cursor between the tags and then press <Ctrl+V> to paste the report there.
[/list]All done!

Edited by AustrAlien, 25 August 2012 - 05:19 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

#12 murru

murru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:22 AM

Dear Australien,

Quick question before I start this process: can I use a DVD instead of a CD to burn the iso file to?

Regards,
Murru

#13 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:25 AM

I believe so, but I cannot confirm that for you. You will have to try it for yourself.

Would using a USB flashdrive be preferable to you??? The flashdrive would need to be empty of any files that you wished to keep of course, as it would be wiped clean in the process of installing UBCD.
AustrAlien

Posted Image

#14 murru

murru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:32 AM

Yes it would. However, I am not sure how to transfer the ISO file to a USB flashdrive properly for it to be equivalent to a CD, unless it is as simple as drag and drop.

#15 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• Members
  • 6,772 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2012 - 05:33 AM

Create a bootable UBCD flashdrive.

Let's use UNetbootin to load the UBCD .ISO file to the flashdrive which will then be bootable.

:step1: Download the UBCD .ISO file to your working computer.
  • Note: If you have trouble finding a download link here:
    • UBCD download page: Download UBCD
    • Look under the heading: Mirror Sites
    • Try any of those listed websites which are hosting/providing the UBCD .ISO file for downloading.
    • Click on the Posted Image icon in the left-hand-side column beside the download location of your choice for direct download of the .ISO file.
  • An example direct download link to try would be:
[/list] :step2: I suggest that before you get started with UNetbootin that you perform a quick format of the flashdrive with the Windows GUI version of fat32format.
:step3: Download the UNetbootin application for Windows.
Use the directions part way down the UNetbootin web page under the heading Installing Other Distributions Using UNetbootin:

Installing Other Distributions Using UNetbootin

• Download and run UNetbootin, then select the "Diskimage" option and supply it with an ISO (CD image).

==================================

Edited by AustrAlien, 25 August 2012 - 05:40 AM.

AustrAlien

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users