Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive inaccessible - is it malware?

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 marxxx

marxxx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:29 AM

Hello,

Windows was giving me fits so I pulled the hard drive. I installed windows on a new drive. Later, I went back to get my data, and could not copy data from my music folder. All other folders were accessible. I removed the drive, came back later and the drive is detected by windows but says it needs to be formatted first. Of course I did not format or initialize the drive. I booted into a linux os. The drive mounts and shows my folders though it shows all folders as being empty. I installed clam av and tried to scan, but did not see an option to scan the whole drive, only folder at a time.

The drive does not click or make any unusual noise. I am wondering if this is or could be malware. I am considering booting from a win7 cd to recovery console and running fixboot and fixmbr. Then trying to access from windows? If no, then run seatools??? If yes, backup critical data and scan with removal utility (I normally like combofix)... Please post recommended steps, I don't want to do something in the wrong order and make it worse.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have backups of most of my data, but some of it would be very disappointing to lose.

Thanks,
Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users