Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

THE MEMORY COULD NOT BE "READ"

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SMANKIN

SMANKIN

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:28 AM

I AM TRYING TO FIX A COMPUTER AND THE MESSAGE I GET WHEN I START UP THE COMPUTER IS:
THE INSTRUCTION AT "0X7E419DE9" REFERENCED MEMORY AT "0X0109822C" THE MEMORY COULD NOT BE "READ", CLICK OK TO TERMINATE OR CANCEL TO DEBUG, EITHER ONE I CLICK DOES NOTHING. I ALSO NOTICED THAT WHEN THE COMPUTER SHUT OFF THE POWER LIGHT WILL BLINK 3 YELLOW 1 GREEN OVER AND OVER. IT WON'T LET ME PAST THIS POINT, WHAT SHALL I TRY??

THANKS IN ADVANCE

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:24 AM

System manufacturer and model, please?

FWIW: The error message you received...is pretty common, doesn't really tell much.

Please download MiniToolBox , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
List last 10 Event Viewer log
List Installed Programs
List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 August 2012 - 11:26 AM.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,384 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:30 AM

Exactly when does the message appear?

Can you boot to safe mode?

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

#4 SMANKIN

SMANKIN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:34 AM

THANKS FOR RESPONDING LOUIS, I CAN GET COMP SPECS TONIGHT, AM I ABLE TO PUT THAT PROGRAM ON DISK AND RUN ON COMP AT STARTUP? I CANNOT GET ON WINDOWS, INTERNET, NOTHING WITH THAT COMPUTER!!

#5 SMANKIN

SMANKIN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:36 AM

ALLAN, IT DOES IT AT STARTUP, WILL NOT LET ME PAST THIS POINT. I DID AN F8 AND TRIED TO DEBUG, NO LUCK

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,384 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:46 AM

1) I don't know what point you're talking about. EXACTLY when do you see that message?

2) Please do not type all caps. That's the online equivalent of SHOUTING. Thank you.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,314 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

Don't worry about the reports...that error message typically does not prevent booting into Windows.

http://helpdeskgeek.com/help-desk/instruction-at-referenced-memory-could-not-be-read/

I don't want specs for the system, just the system manufacturer and model.

Louis

#8 SMANKIN

SMANKIN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:28 PM

i am sorry about the caps thing, program i am working in has to be in caps. when i turn computer on and it begins to go into windows, as soon as you get past the point of being able to do F8 or any F buttons it pops up with this error box and will not let me go any further. i don't know of the last good point, was given to me this way and they cannot remember doing anything to make it change.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,384 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:32 PM

As soon as the system boots begin tapping the F8 Function key - DO NOT WAIT FOR ANY MESSAGES ON THE SCREEN. Can you get to the advanced boot options screen?

#10 SMANKIN

SMANKIN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:54 PM

i believe i can, once i am in advance boot option what do i do?

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,384 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

Go to safe mode.

From there you can do a number of things. Run scans with your anti virus app and MalwareBytes for a start. Then we can try a selective startup:

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#12 SMANKIN

SMANKIN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

thank you very much, will try!!!

sheila

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,384 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 09:30 AM

Okay, keep us posted.

#14 SMANKIN

SMANKIN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 11:14 AM

i was able to get in there by doing what you had suggested, after everything was said and done, i fixed it, found out it has win xp on it and it is very slow. at least it was a learning experience, lol. thank you for your help!!

sheila

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,384 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2012 - 12:07 PM

You're welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users