Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sudden Overheat

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 thephfactor

thephfactor

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:10 AM

Hey all, I'me wondering if any of you can help me with a deeply disturbing and possibly damaging problem with my laptop computer. It is an HP Envy 17 3D edition, which I won from a website drawing. The computer behaves fine most of the time, and I have used it for everything from word processing to light gaming with no problems. Recently though, I decided to really take advantage of my computer's performance by downloading a new(er) game from Amazon: Assassin's Creed 2. (Obviously, it's not the newest game out there, but neither is this laptop). Everything went fine and I launched the game, eagerly anticipating playing it. To my satisfaction, the startup was quick, and the gameplay started out perfectly smooth. However, my computer suddenly hibernated (it does that when it overheats), I thought it was part of the cutscene, but when the audio cut out and I felt the surface of the computer, I realized it was overheating. I fiddled with the fans, used a vacuum to try and clean out the vents, and started agian. Although the computer started out cool, it overheated the EXACT SAME WAY when I started Assassin's Creed. Like a fool, it took two more times of this before I realized I could possibly damage the computer and quit.

This overheating is weird because:

1. Although this computer naturally runs a little hot, after getting an external cooler for the more demanding programs, it has been perfectly fine. Right now as I type this I am using no cooler and the computer is fine.

2. The folks at the website from which I won this laptop used it for their reviews. They were running Batman Arkham Asylum, whatever the latest Final Fantasy is, and others in 1080p in 3D with no overheating and they didn't even have a cooler. They never mentioned any heat problems.

Could anyone help me out?

Edited by thephfactor, 24 August 2012 - 08:53 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 thephfactor

thephfactor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 08:54 AM

*bumps*

I would really appreciate some help on this one, folks.

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,118 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 09:53 AM

The excess heat was noted in this review: HP Envy 17 3D

Heat
While the Envy 17 we reviewed in September stayed relatively cool, we noticed much warmer temperatures on the Envy 17 3D. After playing a Hulu video at full screen for 15 minutes, the touchpad stayed a chilly 84 degrees Fahrenheit, but the space between the G and H keys was a very warm 105 degrees, and the middle of the underside was 100 degrees.

The left side of the Envy 17 3D is the real trouble area. We can accept a fan that blows 120-degree air. But after we played Call of Duty for 10 minutes, the left Shift and Caps Lock keys were a blazing 125 degrees. That's disturbing.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users