Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removed FBI Moneypak virus with Malwarebytes - further action needed?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 S1927

S1927

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

So I recently fell victim to what a Google search told me is the "FBI Moneypack" "ransom" virus that's been going around. It wasn't this exact screenshot for me but it looked something like it:
http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2012/august/new-internet-scam
I booted my computer in safe mode, read some literature, downloaded the free version of Malwarebytes, and ran a scan which found some files it deleted. I rebooted normally and, thank god, everything's fine now, the screen's gone and I'm typing this from said malware'd computer. My question is, do you advise anything I do anything else? I just ran another malwarebytes scan, which turned up negative, and I'm currently running another standard MS Security Essentials system scan. In the event that everything seems fine and ends up back to normal, should I still take any other actions or consult a (real-life) tech help pro? Thanks a lot!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 S1927

S1927
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 PM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:14 AM

Sorry, I realized that I should've posted this over in the security section, here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic466198.html
So someone can delete this thread, thanks.

#3 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 08:20 AM

Hi,

Please download Security Check by screen317's
let the tool run it will open a file checkup.txt post the result on your reply.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#4 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

SleepyDude thanks for helping, however............

from S1927, So someone can delete this thread, thanks.
Since this is now being handled in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum I'm closing this for now. If the Original poster wants it reopened, please PM any Moderator.

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 23 August 2012 - 12:35 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users