Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing OS onto usb HDD

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 radxx

radxx

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 AM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:08 AM

Is there any way of installing a version of windows, I have original Win98SE, WinME and XP discs with original keys, onto a HDD connected via USB?

I have posted a problem about a system I have that is shutting down randomly around the POST/ BIOS part of the boot-up. There was obvious capacitors that had leaked and with the possibility of booting up to the desktop successfully still possible but I got the feeling it would totally be working the PC too hard with this damage already evident I took the plunge to purchase some new capacitors and replace the bad ones.

====== HOWEVER ======

I'm no fool and as this is the most recent system I have (18 mnths old) I'm not gonna risk losing it due to my own lack of skill when it comes to soldering components. So I grabbed an older pc out of the cupboard (had similar shutting down problems, bought a new PSU and new Graphics card, neither got installed as a new pc was bought!) Noticed that it too had bad CAPS and bought some new ones to replace those.
Last night I remove said CAPS from the older system and fitted the new ones - same ratings of uF and V - replaced all wiring and used the new PSU and switched it on.
Nothing. Power: yes, booting: nope!
I was sad, but I soldiered on, I tried connecting 3 more "spare" HDD's jus in case but no luck.
So I connected the old systems HDD to this laptop, via a usb adaptor I purchased to utilise my old HDD's as extra storage, and it told me the HDD was completely blank! A bit happier now: at least my soldering skill had not necessarily been the cause of no activity from the old PC.

Now I have a possibly fixed system with 4 blank HDD's and no way of telling if my soldering paid off.

This is a fact I need to know so I can carry on with soldering the new CAPS to the new PC.

So PLEASE if anyone knows of a way I can get the system to install windows even though it shows no sign of activity or if you know of a way to install windows onto a HDD connected via usb thru THIS laptop which could then be fitted to the "fixed" pc and, hopefully, run as normal.

If you need any more information jus ask!!

Many thanks for taking the time to read this!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,995 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:53 AM

Hi,

You said that your computer have only 18 months, is this correct? Is it out of warranty?
In my country we have 2 years warranty for electronic equipments only for personal use.

By "booting: nope!" you mean the Operating System doesn't start or you didn't get any beeps and messages on the screen?

Edited by SleepyDude, 23 August 2012 - 07:56 AM.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 radxx

radxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 09:22 AM

It is out of warranty already, hence this post.
And there was NO activity upon turning the system on.
Ya think bridging the jumper to clear the CMOS might help the boot up? Even though the HDD is empty??

#4 radxx

radxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

Oh and jus so this is clear I want to be able to install Windows from this WORKING laptop to be used on a desktop PC

Not sure if this is even possible!

Is it possible there was more wrong with the old system than I thought? Bad CPU? RAM? Broken motherboard? Or even jus a bad graphics card not showing me any visuals? There are absolutely NO distinguishing marks anywhere else on the board/installed cards.

Any idea what would make a system not even load to the BIOS menu?

Edited by radxx, 23 August 2012 - 01:51 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:06 PM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

<<Oh and jus so this is clear I want to be able to install Windows from this WORKING laptop to be used on a desktop PC>>

No go :).

The drivers/setting recorded when Windows is installed on any system...doesn't allow for successful (problem-free) movement of the hard drive to a different system (unless the hardware is identical in both systems).

Louis

#6 radxx

radxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2012 - 03:15 AM

I figured as much. So if I put the old system back together incl. empty HDD, and put an OS disc in the CD drive how do I get it to show some kind of activity? Is there any way I can, let's say, scan it to find out if its a problem with CPU, GPU, mainboard or RAM.
I'm pretty sure I checked the RAM before the old system went kaput! And like I said there's no sign of burns or other bad CAPS

#7 radxx

radxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:18 PM

Looks like both my old and new PC's are in need of a new motherboard!! The old system will cost a measley £12 incl. p&p!! Where as the newer system is close to £70 and will have to come from overseas! Possibly China!

I was advised a repair of the bad CAPS wouldn't be any good as they are the signs that something else is the cause of the problem. I really didn't wanna have to scrap this PC!!

Edited by radxx, 30 August 2012 - 03:20 PM.

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 PM

Posted 31 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

Quite Often replacing the bad capacitors is all that is needed.

Whoever told you that bad capacitors are a sign something else is wrong, is incorrect. Usually the cause of bad capacitors is usage of a inferior grade of capacitor.

Go to Badcaps.net

Plenty of information in the forums. Things like tutorials on how to replace and information on what to replace them with.

There is more to the solution than just the Capacitance, Voltage, Temperature rating and physical size. Some research will help. When replacing you need to use a good brand and model. GP (general purpose) capacitors are not good for computers. Which one depends on what you are replacing. The forums can be very helpful with advice on what and where to buy. I myself just buy there for simplicity. I do not go to the local store as they are probably carrying GP high ESR capacitors.

Good Luck
Roger

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 radxx

radxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2012 - 07:50 AM

Thank you for your reply. It's not good to know the advice I was given was wrong tho, the guy is extended family and has worked with computers for decades!

Of the two systems the older one is actually dead tho. I found a replacement on eBay quite cheap from a good seller. So that isn't my major concern.The new system is the BIG problem, if there's no need to replace the board (found only two, one in US and the other in China! I'm in the UK. And they were expensive) then is a home repair possible?

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2012 - 10:42 AM

That depends on what is wrong with it. If it has bad capacitors then probably. The badcaps forums are a wealth of information and helpful people in that event.

For example I bought a high quality kit of capacitors for 2 Dell Precision workstations. When I was done, One sprang back to life the other was dead.

It is just a likely that bad capacitors can damage other hardware as the other way around. I run about a 70% success rate when changing capacitors.
Part of the trick is using high quality parts.

BTW HDTVs of certain brands are known for the same problem. The bad capacitor plague is not limited to computers. Capacitor plague

Many well-known motherboard companies have unknowingly assembled and sold boards with faulty capacitors sourced from other manufacturers. Major vendors such as IBM, Intel, Dell, HP, and Apple Inc. were affected. Circa 2005, Dell spent some US$150 million replacing motherboards outright and another US$150 million on the logistics of determining whether a system was in need of replacement. HP reportedly purged its product line in 2004. The motherboards and power supplies in the Apple iMac G5 and some eMacs were also affected.

Some common behavioral symptoms of "bad caps" seen in computer systems are:

Intermittent failure to turn on, requiring user to press reset or try turning the computer on repeatedly
Instabilities (hangs, occurrences of the "Blue Screen of Death", kernel panics, etc.), especially when symptoms get progressively more frequent over time
Memory errors, especially ones that get more frequent with time
Spontaneous restarts or resets
In on-board or add-on video cards, unstable image in some video modes
Failure to complete the Power-On Self Test ("POST"), or spontaneous rebooting before it is completed
Failure to even start the POST; fans spin but the system appears dead

Good Luck
Roger

Edited by rotor123, 01 September 2012 - 10:46 AM.

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#11 radxx

radxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:04 PM

Right, thanks again. I'm jus a wee bit more than a little nervous when it comes to soldering the newer system.

Looking online specifically for the caps I've bought: they are labelled as General Purpose! Oh dear. Will they be likely to damage the rest of the board, not work due to suitability or fix the problem but not last long??

#12 radxx

radxx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:26 PM

Hi there, Roger, I jus took a look at the digikey.co.uk site and from the badcaps site found out that only a few reputable brands seem to be the difference in quality. So I added some identical caps in their recommended brand only to find that they were still quoted as being General Purpose. How do I know for sure that the caps I've already bought are inadequate? Maybe they're really okay, I don't know.

#13 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2012 - 01:43 PM

It isn't just brand that matters. Once brand will have GP caps and better levels of parts. That is why I suggested Badcaps. Post the make and model of the capacitors you need to change there in the forums and ask for suggestions. A GP cap may have a higher resistance or ESR or lower temperature rating and whatever. That is why earlier I said it isn't just voltage, capacitance and temperature rating and size that matter.

Look at this table as an example, You will see the same ratings in different lines. HSZ, HN, HM they all differ in certain ways. (ESR) and ripple values AND then dimensions
http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=23

Read this message and you may start to get a feel for what I mean. Recapping: What brands work best?

Good Luck
Roger

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users