Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

factory restore FAIL

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Warhawk76

Warhawk76

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:10 PM

Sirs and madams...I have a 2 yo Gateway laptop, p6000 processor, 1.87 ghz, 128 mb vid RAM, running slow, so I thought a factory restore was in order. It took some digging to find the restore function, and after starting the process, the computer hung up at 88% complete. ABout an hour later it gave a "restore failed" message, and now all I can access is the task manager, and startup screen with the user, "guest". Do I have a paperweight here, or is there a way to save it? Thank you...RJW
ps...nothing in the BIOS to help me, and no boot disc...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 589661

• Members
  • 185 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:23 PM

Do you have to option to attempt the restore again through a fn key on boot such as f10 or f11. If not what was the original operating syatem. You can download a oem copy online or a trial through technet and then use your serial from the genuine sticker on your computer.

*edit The restore should actually be a seperate partition so chances are that it is still there, also you may be able to order a set of restore disks from gateway.

As long as you have that sticker on your computer then you have the rights to use it to legally activate a copy of windows. Just make sure you match the product exactly when you download it, edition and all. If it was windows xp media edition for example you cannot use a xp pro disk, has to be exactly the same for the serial to work.

Edited by 589661, 22 August 2012 - 10:24 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 23 August 2012 - 11:47 AM

Does the following correctly represent the steps you took?

http://support.gateway.com/s/software/microsof/Vista/7515910/7515910su9.shtml

Any explanation provided by Gateway software as to why the restore failed...bad hard drive, partition, etc.?

Exact model of Gateway laptop, please?

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 August 2012 - 11:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users