Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Only The Chip Fan Is Running

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Paisley

Paisley

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 12:37 PM

I have a Dell from 2001 that has been updated in the recent past and ran great. I put it in my son's room... :thumbsup: It's an official paper wieght at this point. :flowers:

It's prime use was the internet. Habbo Hotel and internet games, chatting on the msn messenger and such. About a week ago, it shut down everything but the chip fan. No other power is distributed. No mouse, no monitor. No other activity, clicks, chirps or otherwise.

I've got another hard drive I was going to hook up and see what happens. If there's any ideas out there, they'd be much appreciated. Thanx :trumpet:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 01:37 PM

Look and see if the power supply fan and\or case fans are running.
If not, probably a cooked power supply. OEM's always use weak PS's, one reason you have to be careful when upgrading them. Yes, the cpu fan may still be getting enough juice to run even if the power supply is toast.
EDIT: BTW, might want to make sure the voltage switch on the back of the power supply didn't get accidently switched over to 220. :thumbsup:

Edited by HitSquad, 13 March 2006 - 01:39 PM.

#3 Paisley

Paisley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 02:08 PM

Tanx muchly. I'll check those out shortly and let you know what happened :thumbsup:

#4 Paisley

Paisley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 13 March 2006 - 04:49 PM

No fan running in the power supply.

This was one of the new pieces put into this machine just awhile back. Not good news. Back to the fixer I guess. The power supply in it was too low so I had him replace it along with a few other things. It ran great after he was done with it.

Anything that would cause a new power supply to fail in less than six months? All of the computers were on at the same time as this one and only one has a surge protector on it. Nothing happened to any of the others. I'm thinking if there was a serious power surge it would probably take out more than one right?

I also checked the switch on the back and it's still on 115.

Did you mean that because they use weak power supplies that they might not withstand the new one?

Any more ideas are welcome.

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 13 March 2006 - 05:15 PM

What I meant was OEM's like dell use low output power supplies.
They get away with it by using integrated on-board audio,video,lan, etc.
Systems like that are cheap to manufacture and don't require a big power supply.
However, when you go to add new hardware, which requires more power , it pushes the power supply past it's limits. That's a factor many people overlook when they upgrade such a system. I was not aware that you had this replaced already but it shouldn't matter. Should be at least a one year warrranty on the power supply itself. Labor, that's another story. :thumbsup:
Why it puked is anybody's guess. May be overtaxed, maybe just a cheapie, it's hard to really say.
I'm pretty much an Antec fan when it comes to power supply's. Never had a problem with them in any of my builds.

Edited by HitSquad, 13 March 2006 - 05:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users